We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Week Itinerary Input

Leominster...
Level Contributor
8 posts
316 reviews
Save Topic
Two Week Itinerary Input

I am planning a two week Oregon vacation for next summer (July/August). I like outdoor activities; i.e. hiking, kayaking, rafting, etc. My wife likes lighthouses. My teenage son likes anything adventurous (i.e. dune buggies, jet boats, etc.). My wife and I like beer and wine and the unusual (hence the visit to Peculiarium and Trek in the Park). We are flying in from Boston and looking to do a loop of Oregon starting in Portland. My life goal is to visit every national park (hence, the stop in Crater Lake).

Based on guide books, Google Maps, and numerous web sites, I put together the following itinerary. I would love any feedback on days that are too packed with activities, distances that are too far to travel in a day, sites we shouldn’t miss that aren’t listed here, sites that are listed here that we should avoid, and any other advice that people are willing to offer. Thanks in advance for your input.

Day #1 - Fly into Portland

Day #2 - Portland - Pedal Bike Tours - Historic Downtown Tour - Willamette Jetboat Tour

Day #3 - Portland - Washington Park (Japanese Garden and Rose Test Garden) - Peculiarium

Day #4 - Portland - Rent kayaks from Alder Creek Kayak - Head south/upstream, cross under Marquam and Ross Island Bridges - 3 miles to Sellwood Waterfront Park - Mount Tabor Park - Trek in the Park (evening)

Day #5 - Drive Rt 30 from Portland to Astoria (2 hours) - Fort Clatsop, Lewis and Clark National Historical Park - Fort to Sea Trail (Park at Sunset Beach, catch shuttle to start 6.5mile hike at Fort Clatsop) - 3 hours - Tillamook Rock Lighthouse (land-based views from Ecola State Park) - 1 hour - Haystack Rock (Cannon Beach) - 30 minutes - Hotel in Cannon Beach

Day #6 - Continue Pacific Coast Scenic Byway (Rt 101 South to Reedsport) - Cape Meares Lighthouse - 1 hour - Cape Foulweather (hike up from Rocky Creek Wayside) - 1 hour - Devil's Punchbowl - 1 hour - Yaquina Bay Lighthouse - 1 hour - Devil's Churn (Cape Perpetua) - 30 minutes - Heceta Head Lighthouse - 1 hour - Sea Lion Caves - 1 hour - Hotel in Reedsport

Day #7 - Oregon Dunes National Recreational Area (Coos Bay) - Rent buggies in North Bend - 2 hours - Sandboard - 2 hours

Day #8 - Reedsport to Crater Lake Lodge - 175 miles - 3.5 hours driving - Umpqua River Scenic Byway (Rt 38 East from Reedsport to Sutherlin) - Dean Creek Elk Viewing - Winery tour (2 to choose from) - Henry Estate Winery - 687 Hubbard Creek Road, Umpqua - HillCrest Vineyards - 240 Vineyard Lane, Roseburg - Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway (Rt 138 East from Rt 5 Roseburg to Crater Lake) - Colliding Rivers (North Umpqua) - Whitehorse Falls (Hwy 138, near milepost 66, turn into Whitehorse Falls Campground) - Toketee Falls (Hwy 138 near milepost 59, turn north onto Road 34) viewing platform 0.4 mile down 200 steps - Diamond Lake - Crater Lake National Park North Entrance - Watchman Overlook, 3.7 miles north of Rim Village on West Rim Drive - Crater Lake Lodge

Day #9 - Crater Lake 33 mile Rim Drive - Discovery Point - Time: 1 hour Length: 1.1 miles one way Elevation: 7,050 to 7,150 feet Difficulty: Easy Trailhead: Rim Village, follow the sidewalk west out of Rim Village to start of dirt trail. Features: Views of Crater Lake. - Cleetwood Trail - 12pm Volcano Boat Cruise - Hike 1.1-mile (drops approximately 700-feet) for 30-45 minutes. Tour for 1-hour and 45-minutes. Hike up for 1 hour (700-foot ascent) - Cloudcap Overlook and Phantom Ship Overlook - Pinnacles Trail - Time: 30 minutes Length: 1 mile out and back Elevation: 5,500 to 5,400 feet Difficulty: Easy Trailhead: End of Pinnacles Spur Road, 7 miles south of Phantom Ship Overlook Features: Views of volcanic spires in canyon walls. Use caution near cliffs. - Sun Notch Viewpoint - Time: 20 minutes Length: 0.25 miles one way Elevation: 7,000 to 7,115 feet Difficulty: Moderate Trailhead: 4 miles east of Park Headquarters on the East Rim Drive Features: View of Crater Lake and Phantom Ship. Use caution near the cliff edges. - Castle Crest Wildflower Trail - Time: 30 minutes Length: 0.4 mile loop from East Rim Drive Difficulty: Moderate Elevation: 6,400 to 6,500 feet Trailhead: 0.5 miles east of Park Headquarters on East Rim Drive Features: Creek and meadow wildflowers in summer months. - Godfrey Glen (if enough time) - Time: 30 minutes Length: 1 mile loop Elevation: 6,000-6,050 ft Difficulty: Easy Trailhead: 2.4 miles south of Park Headquarters on Munson Valley Road. Features: Old growth forests, and views of Annie Creek Canyon. Fully accessible.

Day #10 - Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway (North 372 to Bend) - 3 hours - Three Sisters - Bend - Lava River Cave - Deschutes Brewery Tour - 2 hours - Smith Rock State Park - 2 hours - Drive to Maupin - 2 hours

Day #11 - Deschutes River Rafting - 9:45am - 4pm - Drive to Troutdale - 2 hours

Day #12 - Columbia River Highway Scenic Byway (Rt 84 East to Hood River - Rt 35 South to Mt Hood) - Vista House at Crown Point - Multnomah Falls Visitor Center - Horsetail Falls (2.6 miles) - Bonneville Lock & Dam - Eagle Creek Trail (4 miles to Punchbowl Falls) - Latourell Falls (2.5 miles) - Bridge of the Gods - Mosier Twin Tunnels (2 mile hike) - Full Sail Brewery in Hood River - Hotel in Hood River

Day #13 - Mt Hood Scenic Byway (Rt 26 West to Portland) - Mt Hood Scenic Railroad - Tamanawas Falls - Sahalie Falls - Pioneer Woman's Grave - Timberline Lodge - Ski Bowl in Government Camp - West Barlow Tollgate - Jonsrud Viewpoint - Back to Portland

Day #14 - Fly home

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

My first reaction is that you have too many things planned in too short a time. You underestimate the time it will take for you to get from one place to another or to accomplish various activities (the dune buggying, for example). Add an hour or two, at least to each activity; and an hour or two to each travel time.

It should be pointed out also that you are apparently skipping any time in the towns (Depoe Bay, Newport, Yachats, Florence for example).

I need to clarify, also, whether when you say "next summer" you're talking about 2012 or 2013. If it's this year and you don't have reservations at the Crater Lake Lodge, it's probably too late to get any. That will change your plans significantly.

It'll take time for us to digest and break down all your planning, but I'm sure others will jump in with useful comments. Google and guide books make things seem so simple, when reality is a whole different matter. If you really want to experience the best of Oregon (not just a quick, "OK, that's it, we have to get going"), you'll need to slow down a bit.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

Oh, yeah...you also forgot to eat and take bathroom breaks.

Leominster...
Level Contributor
8 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

Sorry, should have said July/August 2013. Thanks.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

I'm outta breath, can we slow down? LOL

I'd cut Portland to two days, it's a nice but another, city.

I think you are rushing and shorting yourselves on enjoying the incredible beauty of the coast and some of the interesting towns (see Post #1).

I like hiking but wonder if you would reconsider the emphasis on hikes; you'll see much from the road. Sure, hike, but make the decision somewhat on the fly when you see, literally, that it is worth your while and interests and, importantly, that you have the time. Some hikes are walks, some will be scenically redundant, so you could skip some to move on to the next major site. Will you folks be separating each hike?

The drive from Cannon Beach to Reedsport is ostensibly 5 hours w/o stops. You cannot count on freewheeling down this road, it will be congested in places, traffic slows at viewpoints, etc. And there is much to see along that drive, including towns, viewpoints, dining, etc.

Cannon Beach lodging will tend to require two nights in tourist season, so you'll have to plan accordingly to find a one night "stand either there or neighboring villages/towns.

Bend, more to see there than you have listed.

Cape Perpetua (and other stunning locations) deserve more than a drive by and a hurried walk/hike) at just one part of the Cape.

Depoe Bay deserves a look, including the tiny harbor and there, and elsewhere, watch for whales.

Sea Lion Caves - lots of folks like it, it is educational, it smells. You can see Sea Lions for free along the coast (at many viewpoint bluffs, and there are many of these along the road) walk to the edge, look down. Also, more urban Sea Lions are on the docks at Newport's harbor/old town. Interesting town.

There are some nicer, less touristy, galleries along the coast as well.

Oregon, Central/Bend Area http://www.visitbend.com/

Oregon Coast http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

Newport, OR http://discovernewport.com/

Yachats/Cape Perpetua fs.fed.us/r6/…

Two good lodges on a short bluff at Yachats: Fireside Motel and Overleaf Lodge, both on this website. http://www.firesidemotel.com/Fireside_Motel/

Yachats, OR (La Di Da) Funky town, retro 60's, just north of Cape Perpetua.

http://www.el.com/to/yachats/ http://www.yachats.org/events.html

OR Coast Lighthouses (thanks, halfBrit!) http://www.nwcoast.com/lighthouses/oregon.asp

Edited: 02 May 2012, 03:08
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

Too much planned :-(

Also, Reedsport is not the best place to overnight on the coast. It's inland a bit, a mostly no-nonsense "blue collar" type of town, not really tourist oriented other than for ATVs and not what I call scenic. (Has a wonderful bakery though!)

I think you'll be a much better fit in Yachats!

Level Contributor
34,455 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

Looks ambitious and very well-planned! When you are at Ecola State Park, take a picnic lunch if the weather is nice. There are several picnic tables there with gorgeous oceanviews. Try to take the scenic drive back to Indian Beach when you are at Ecola State Park.

www.cannon-beach.net is a nice website for this area. :)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

By your itineray, you have given us some insight into your vacationing style (like to keep busy), but I agree with others. Too much planned for such a short time. Though your driving times are for the most part accurate, what about when you see something of interest while driving south on hwy 101 for example. Are you NOT going to stop just to stay on schedule!?! So much of the "Oregon Experience" is finding the "special places" that may not make the guide books, but are just as spectacular.

For example, while Sea Lion Caves, being the world's largest sea cave, is worth a stop imo, there are several stops between Yachats and there, such as Yachats Ocean Rd, Cape Perpetua, Strawberry Hill, Neptune State Scenic Viewpoint, that trump it in spades!

I respectfully suggest that you pick perhaps one "must do" for each day and leave the rest of the time to exploring as you travel.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

is this a joke?

9. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2012, 02:05
Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Two Week Itinerary Input

Why is it a joke? Your planned and changed itinerary was fairly detailed. The OP, for their trip, decided to include details within their overall itinerary. I don't see why judgement is called for.