We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Seattle to Oregon

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Seattle to Oregon

My husband and I will be driving from Seattle to Oregon the day after Memorial Day. We are getting an early start and were thinking about stopping at Cannon Beach before heading to McMinnville for two nights, then popping over to Portland for the last two nights (hitting Columbia Gorge for a day while in Portland). Anyway, based on my question in the Seattle forum, it sounds like driving from Seattle (SeaTac specifically) to Cannon Beach and then on to McMinnville in one day is too ambitious. Thoughts? I hate to skip the coast, but our time is limited. Should we spend one night around Cannon Beach and only one night in McMinnville? I'm afraid we'll be cutting wine country too short.

BTW we are spending three nights in Seattle before we leave and will have four nights total to spend in Oregon. Just trying to divide the time the best we can without feeling overwhelmed. Please let me know if our current itinerary can/should be reworked.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

It would be a LONG day from SeaTac to Mac, via Cannon Beach. Something along the lines of 8 hrs driving w/o much time for sightseeing.

Rather to spend the night in/near Cannon Beach (most places in Cannon Beach have a two night min from Memorial Day to Labor day or beyond) is strictly a preference. Is wine county more appealing to you than some of the most dramatic scenery in the United States?

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

@dengay, thanks for your response! This trip has been so hard for me to plan because there is just so much to do and see! Cannon Beach is really a must for me. We will need to work it in somehow.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

I think you could spend a night in/around Cannon Beach, and still have two days of tasting in wine country (which is one more than most visitors have). The drive from Cannon Beach to McMinnville is only about two hours, so if you leave 8:00 - 9:00am, you'll be in wine country by the time most tasting rooms open. Spend that night, then visit more wineries again the next day before heading off on the next part of your adventure.

BTW, I think Den overestimated the time from SEA to McMinnville via Cannon Beach by about two hours. A lot depends on traffic though.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 21:41
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

You can find lodging for one night in the area, including CB (a bit harder), Seaside, perhaps Manzanita. While in the Cannon Beach area, for a beautiful taste of the coast, Ecola State Park adjacent and north of CB. It'll whet your appetite for more further down the coast.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

thrumylens,

It's entirely possible my times are off a bit. It's been a while, but the last time I drove from Nehalem, ~30 min south of Cannon Beach, to SeaTac, it took right at 5 hrs. From Nehalem to Mac, which I used to drive A LOT, takes a min of 2 .5 hrs.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 23:18
6. Re: Driving from Seattle to Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17