We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

iowa
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

Hi!

Wondering where....=0)......you think the best waterfalls can be found in Oregon. This will be our second visit to this awe inspiring state and my main objective will be to come away with some great photographs and have fun while doing it. My wife and I will fly in the last week of June for 8 nights. 3 years ago we visited, Multnomah, Ecola, Punchbowl and Tunnel, Ramona, Silver Falls State Park and Abiqua Falls before heading over to and up the coast for 1 night before our flight back home out of Portland.

I want to revisit Punchbowl Falls so that I can correct a mistake that I made when I was there last time and I also have Dry Creek Falls written down on my note pad of places to see....(and Cape Kiwanda and Thor's Well).

So back to my question.......what are your favorite waterfalls that may be photogenic. I'd almost prefer that they not be places that are teaming with people but instead maybe a little harder to get to. Although....I vowed last time that I wasn't going to stop at Multnomah yet I ended up going there 3 times. I only saw 5-6 people there total at the most though because I got there early.

And my bonus question is: How will the wildflowers will be looking during the last week of June?

Thank you!

Oh...web search "bubba trout" if you'd like to see the photos from the last trip...or the upcoming trip, once I post them. The "oregon!" set is on the right.

Edited: 06 June 2012, 06:23
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,797 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

Sahalie Falls, east of Eugene a ways. Beautiful beyond belief!

June is too early for wildflowers. More like August for prime time.

iowa
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

Thank you!

2009 must have been an unusual year because it seemed that the wildflowers were already done when we were there in mid July.

And a correction in my original post: (Elowah Falls Not Ecola)

I also just noticed that I asked a similar question 3 years ago but some fresh opinions would be helpful as well.

Thanks again!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

How far are you willing to go? Sahalie Falls is indeed impressive. It also begins a series of cascades culminating in Koosah Falls, almost as tall, but not as powerful. A beautiful easy trail follows the waterand you can cross over and return on the other side of the river.

Salt Creek Falls in Willamette Pass is second in height only to Multnomah Falls in Oregon...but is very different. You park at the top and have to hike down a trail to gain a vantage point for viewing the narrow falls that, for the most part, seem to disappear into the earth with only a fraction flowing on as a stream. There's a lot of construction going on right now at Salt Creek Tunnel on Hwy. 58, so you might have delays and congestion unless you come at the falls from the Bend side.

Kentucky Falls in the Coast Range between Eugene and Florence offers three waterfalls, with the falls of two separate rivers coming together in one gorgeous setting. You'll need to hike in, but it's not hard. Getting to the trailhead can be tricky.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,569 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

About the wildflowers...a lot depends on altitude. Much of the Cascades is still under a blanket of snow. Everything blooms much later at higher altitudes. Also, some waterfalls that we might recommend are also inaccessible in June.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,568 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

Tamanawas Falls in the "Mount Hood region" (up 35 beside Hood River- it's not far.)

Wahclella

Shepards Dell

Bridal Veil

Well, I will just teach you how to fined them yourself.

Go to www.nwhiker.com and click on Hikes then Oregon/ Washington. They have a gallery of pics and information on weather, wild flowers, difficulty levels, and more. they have pictures of the hikes, but not giving anything away because each day and season and time is different. It just gives you an idea of what you would see on each hike.

Or have a loose day and check in ;the Visitor Information Center at Multnomah Falls and they have friendly knowledgeable volunteers who have great ideas for hikes or waterfalls, off the beaten track or not.I found a good Book there called Waterfall Lovers (Handbook?) of the Pacific Northwest.

MrsO

MrsO

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

My favorite place for falls is on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge. There are many to see, some right off the road, some you have to hike to. I have captured some amazing shots of all of them. Last fall we were there and for the first time hiked to the top of Multnomah Falls. Not sure what I was thinking but when I got to the top and stood on the viewing platform looking down I was glad I did it.

www.oregon.com/attractions/multnomah_falls

Latrell Flls is probably my favorite to photograph at the base.

www.sceniclight.com/html/gallery/photo/447/1

Sheppards Dell Falls are cute and great for photog's as well. Playing with your shutter speed for the foamy look.

www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/nws/falls.php…

7. Re: Wet, Wild and Wonderous Waterfalls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 19:15