We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Oregon Camping/Sights

lishara1980
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Central Oregon Camping/Sights

My boyfriend and I are driving from Portland to Northern Cali (Greagle) in July. We'll be leaving Portland early July 4 and arriving in Greagle July 5. The plan is to head down I-5 to Eugene where we'll bear east to US-97. We wanted to camp somewhere midway and I was thinking the Crater Lake area might be the best location. I've never been to Central Oregon before and wanted to make sure that we're staying in a great spot since we only have one afternoon/night to enjoy the scenery. Another possibility is to drive to Bend from Portland and leave the majority of the driving to the 5th. Any suggestions on a route and camping sites? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Eugene
Eugene
Oregon
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
379 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Bend
Bend
Central Oregon, OR
Wall Street Suites
Wall Street Suites
#1 of 45 hotels in Bend
Stephanie Inn
Stephanie Inn
#1 of 15 hotels in Cannon Beach
Five Pine Lodge & Spa
Five Pine Lodge & Spa
#1 of 4 hotels in Sisters
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,077 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Oregon Camping/Sights

Near Chiloquin, NE of Crater Lake and right on hwy 97, you will find Collier State Park. It's a nice campground with an added bonus; A logging museum on site.

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
379 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Oregon Camping/Sights

Hi,

When we go to CA, we try to get to at least Grants Pass, but I couldn't find Greagle on the map so I don't know if this would work. It's more Southern Oregon.

Try looking at www.Joecreekrvresort.com or joecreekwaterfallresort.com. It's north of Grants Pass by 8 miles. Also, if this doesn't work, I think anything on the Rogue River would be good.

I imagine driving on the 5th will be a bear. I would get as close to CA as possible before night.

This would be about a 4-4 1/2 hour drive. (I imagine most will be settled down while you are driving.) I would call and reserve a spot if you want to hold it. The 4th is pretty big here.

MrsO

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
3. Re: Central Oregon Camping/Sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:17