We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland-Seattle - a national park---

kz2
Merrick, New York
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Portland-Seattle - a national park---

Hello all,

We need help formulating a trip...we will be in Portland on Sept. 15th ...we would like to leave Portland and head north towards Seattle on Tuesday the 18th... Stay in Seattle 2 nights?.... Then head to a national park and stay at a lodge again possibly 2 nights?

Then head south again along the coast ....we would like to stay a night or 2 there as well...all that said we absolutely need to be back and settled I. Portland by sundown Tuesday the 25th.....

We are looking for some help.....how many days where....what would be our best choices.... We are looking for beautiful nature...and the highlights of the Cities....

Thanks in advance!

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

You need to read a guidebook. You don't need to buy the most recent copy, just go to the library and check out a book our two about OR and WA. This is an enormous area with a wealth of natural beauty. You could choose among the North Cascades, the Oregon Coast, Olympic National Park, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Rainier. You need to do your part and do some research first, then write in to get specific suggestions. Include your budget and information about the things you like to do, such as any interest in hiking, kayaking, wine, etc...

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,870 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

Include Mount Hood as well. There is a WPA project Timberline Lodge that is beautiful. It's a ski lodge and you can see the snow kats on snow there year round.

You could explore the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area from there.

MrsO

Edited: 15 July 2012, 00:12
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

Wash coast is not that great. Oreg coast better.

Is Seattle a must? If so suggest Mt St Helens, Rainier NP, then Oregon coast at Astoria and as far south as you have time, maybe Florence. Other option is Drop Oreg coast for Olympic NP which does have some coast, but limited.

You do need to see Col R Gorge at some point, not a National Park, but many of the treasures in NW are not in National Parks

Edited: 15 July 2012, 06:39
Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

The possibilities are endless.

One Washington focused possibility: Seattle, Mt.Rainier [the Paradise Inn]; an afternoon at Mt. S. Helens; Olympic National Park; maybe a jaunt to Victoria BC.

AnotherOregon focused possibility: Portland; Columbia River Gorge; zip to the coast and drive as far south on the coast as you have time for.

Another possibility: Portland; Columbia River Gorge; Mt. Hood for a night [Timberline Lodge]; then zip to the coast for a few nights.

I think the idea of getting a couple of guide book from the library is a good one; or possibly googling "oregon travel" and "washington travel" to get some ideas of the possibilities.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

The WA coast is breathtakingly beautiful Phirl. The difference between the most beautiful stretch of WA coast and the OR coast is ease of access. The wonderful beaches of WA are all in Olympic National Park, and it takes time to get to them. In OR you can just head down the coast, stay in comfortable lodgings in charming towns and enjoy a good dinner after a day of sightseeing. In ONP you have to drive a long way to the remote beaches and then drive back to your lodging, which will not be in a charming little town because there aren't any here. It's well worth it for those who want to see a true marine wilderness, but it takes effort.

Orchards, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

With all this information, OP really does need to read a guidebook and nail down some ideas what she wants to do.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

Kaleberg, I know that, did I sound like I thought Wash coast was bad?? OP seemed to have limited time, not time to explore remote WA coast.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 00:32
Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,202 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

Oh no, I don't think the OP should necessarily explore ONP unless she writes in to say she has a specific wish to do so. It's just that you said the WA coast is not that great, and I worried that people would get the wrong impression. I agree that places like Ocean Shores are not that great, or even particularly good, but I wanted to make sure readers know that there's more to the WA coastline than the boring part.

9. Re: Portland-Seattle - a national park---

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 19:17