We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to camp along 101

Davis, California...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best place to camp along 101

I will be travelling the 101 from Astoria, OR to Arcata, CA in the near future and would like some recommendations about the best place to camp along the way. Nearby mountain biking areas are a definite plus. Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,478 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to camp along 101

I get hassled when I say this, but we love Cape Lookout.

Semi near Tillamook, it has hiking areas where you *could* see whales in season, Is scenic and nearest to the ocean iIMHO because less of a sand dune to cross and go to the beach. There is a day park there too.

It's probably booked for the season but there are spaces saved aside for last minute camping.

How many days are you taking for your drive?

Mrs O

Davis, California...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Thanks for the info - it sounds like a great place and I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future. Since I'll only be camping one night, though, it does seem a bit far from Arcata, CA (almost 9 hours). Do you know of anything closer to the half-way point that you'd recommend? The Suislaw National Forest seems to be around half-way, so perhaps something around there (??).

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Carl G Washburne State Park, between Yachats and Florence would be a good bet. It's a small (ish), quiet campground and has miles of multi-purpose trails.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to camp along 101

William Tugman might be a thought as well. Or maybe Umpqua Lighthouse SP. Here is an easy "campground finder" for State Parks:

www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Would guess you are tent camping. Oregon Dunes has several CGs by Forest Service. I think they are more tent friendly.

Not sure I would be looking for mountain biking on coast. Though Cape Perpetua area is possible area. Central Oregon better for mountain biking. then I am not a mountain biker

Edited: 18 July 2012, 23:53
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Astoria to Arcata in two days?? You will have very limited time to mountain bike, So many coastal places to see.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 00:00
Davis, California...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Thanks for the feedback, everyone - much appreciated. To clarify my trip a bit more, the Astoria to Arcata is the last part of a 9-day vacation though Oregon and Washington, so I'll have camped and rode lots of other days beforehand.

I guess the big question that relates to my main one above is one of quality or quantity (since the trip is not totally flushed out yet), that is, less driving + more time spent at each stop vs. more driving + less time spent at each stop. I'm leaning toward the latter, which means I may take longer going down the coast.

Davis, California...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to camp along 101

>> I'm leaning toward the latter, which means I may take longer going down the coast.

should read:

>> I'm leaning toward the FORMER, which means I may take longer going down the coast.

:)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Longer down coast?? good idea

Edited: 19 July 2012, 01:24
Davis, California...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to camp along 101

Exactly, longer down the coast (camping two days instead of one).