We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington and Oregon

Wolfforth, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Washington and Oregon

We are planning a 12 day trip to Northwest. Flying into Seattle to start and spend 3 nights there then onto Portland for 3 nights. Here comes the questions. Should we make Portland a base and try to see the coast and the Mt Hood and gorge area from there before returning to Port Angeles to take a ferry over to Victoria? Or is it worth the trip to go onto Kennewick and Yakima on the way to take a ferry over to Victoria?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington and Oregon

Hi there Nan-

It is possible to make Portland your base and see coast and Mt Hood/Gorge as separate day trips. I'm assuming you are thinking about after visitng the Gorge heading back N through eastern washington?

I'm assuming this visit is in the summer/early fall when snow is not an issue....

Sounds like a good plan to visit up through Yakima- I wouldnt recommend going all the way to Kennewick with the time available. From Yakima, I might take Hwy 12- White Pass or Chinook Pass(hwy 410) to keep to the south of Seattle and then hwy 101 up to Hoods Canal-(west of Tacoma). That ways there's no need to go back through Seattle and worry about ferry schedules, etc-especially during the summer.

Or if you have an extra day, you may want to spend some time up at Mt St Helens. The area off of Hwy 12(Windy Ridge) does not offer as much interepetive displays as the Coldwater Ridge area, but does have signage and ranger talks-at least in the summer. make sure to check the website on season/road closures, etc

Wolfforth, Texas
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington and Oregon

Thank You so much, that really helped.

3. Re: Washington and Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:15