We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

Heidelberg, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

I expect the upper section visited by Hellgate will be wilder, and their whitewater trip is shorter and cheaper. But Jerry's begins by going up the river and saves the exciting fast trip down the rapids for the end, while Hellgate starts with the downstream and then works its way back up at the end. Which is better?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

I always prefer Hellgate out of Grants Pass, The drivers all leave at the same time and kind of play with the other boats, telling their passengers "Here comes Joe, let's say hi!" or something like that. They all have a good sense of humor. When they go to the turnaround and stop at the OK Corral for the meal, they have divided up all all the passengers and sit them at different tables so you meet the nicest people while you eat. (they keep families together) and the food for so many is so good, or maybe you've been on the water for so long and enjoying it so much....

I know lots of them prefer Gold Beach but I found it a letdown after Grants Pass.

Mrs O

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

Im Gold Beach girl LOL!!!

I havent done the Hellgate boat trip, but have driven the road that parellels the section to 'Hellgate'/graves creek. I'd say depending on how long you go, the Gold Beach trip is much more 'wilder'-especially if you do the longer trips. But if cost is a factor, I'd say the shorter trips are probably about equal-since the shorter Gold Beach trip also parellels the road, etc... not that the road is a super highway or anything...

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,040 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

I know that I have taken both and more than once. The Hellgate Jetboats are on the Rogue River, not the creek.

In the end, you have to make up your own mind. They are both wet.

Mrs O

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

I liked Hellgate better--we did both on the same week vacation. Did the dinner tour on Hellgate. OK Corral food was great, served family style and lots of it! Jerry's started early in the morning at Gold Beach. The marine layer of clouds was still hanging-in and it was cold until we got to Agness, then it was about 85. Had to buy our own lunch at Agness. Return trip was more fun since it was warmer.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 04:28
Level Contributor
35,456 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

We have done the Hellgate several times and a few weeks ago did the shortest trip with Jerry's out of Gold Beach and had so much fun! We preferred the scenery in Gold Beach over Grant's Pass. We stopped at Lucas Lodge for lunch which was excellent! Lots of great food and it was fun getting to know the people on the boat during lunch. :)

Grants Pass, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

Hellgate is the best trip hands down! They have great food and the guys driving the boat know how to show you a good time! I vote Hellgate in Grants Pass everytime!

Gold Hill, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

I vote HELLGATE! I have never ridden on Jerry's but I see lots of wildlife every time I go on Hellgate. It's not just educational but fun as well so my kids as well as grandma & grandpa enjoy the trip just the same! Definitely do the Lunch or Brunch. I also hear they are now going to Morrison's Lodge on the whitewater trip which is their longest (more of the wild & scenic section I believe). We will be doing this next week! Can't wait!

8. Re: Jerry's (Gold Beach) vs Hellgate (Grants Pass) Rogue Jetboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 20:16