We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary advice

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary advice

Hi, all,

Here is my planned itinerary for my 2-week trip in late September. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about how doable it is, what I'm missing, what I should cut out, etc. I posted earlier about wineries, and now I'm just sort of doubting my overall plan. We're more interested in scenery and hiking than we are in seeing cities. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Misty

---------------------

Portland

- Day 1: Fly into Seattle, drive from Seattle to Portland

- Day 2: Visit wineries

- Day 3: Silver Falls State Park

Glide

- Day 4: Drive from Portland to Glide

- Day 5: Day trip to Crater Lake

- Day 6: Drive to Crescent City, stop at Oregon Caves

Crescent City

- Day 7: Hike in Redwood National Park, drive to Gold Beach

Gold Beach

- Day 8: ?

- Day 9: Drive to Yachats

Yachats

- Day 10: ?

- Day 11: ?, drive to Lincoln City

Lincoln City

- Day 12: ?, Drive to Cannon Beach

Cannon Beach

- Day 13: ?, Drive to Seattle

Seattle:

- Day 14: ?

- Day 15: Fly out

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary advice

Oh good. I like better seeing plan. but still want to know why two nights in Glide. You could head from Crater Lake to Crescent City via Medford.

Wonder why you are flying into SeaTac since you have no plans in Wash. But if SeaTac given add Mt St Helens, maybe day 14.

You dropped Mt Hood Loop. Columbia Gorge a must see, if you like waterfalls. Silver Creek Falls a great place, but i would pick Col Gorge over it. Then maybe you have been here before.

Day 8 could be jet boat tour on Rogue

Are you planning two nights in Yachats?? Not sure I would.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary advice

I would add time in Newport, as they have an awsome aquarium and I would stop and see the sealion caves north of there. So I would spend one day there for sure.. it is north of Lincoln City.

Between Cannon Beach and Seattle there is a ton to do, so you could easily add a day or a week ;) there.

Driving Cannon Beach to Seattle is a long drive, so you might want to space it out over the whole day. Stopping for a long lunch and a walk or hike somewhere (Ft. Stevens comes to mind), Or north in washington, though once you hit 1-5 it is easier to keep going.

Three things to see in Seattle that would be on my top list

The Airplane Museum

Fishmarket

and

Space Needle (This would make an awsome last dinner! :))

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary advice

Good ideas for Seattle! Pike Place Market is fun to wander around, and there are lots of great places to eat right there too. The Museum of Flight is down at Boeing Field, so is just a few minutes from downtown. There is also a tour you can do of the factory up in Everett, which is abou 20 miles north of Seattle. The Space Needle is great, but if it is too cloudy then skip it. I would pass on a meal there at any rate. We used to live up there and so if you need anymore help with any of that, just ask:)

Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary advice

Looks great! You will love Crater Lake, it is so blue and really a nice place for photos. You may enjoy the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island in Seattle for the scenery view of Seattle from the water. We did not get off, just enjoyed the ride and took some great photos of Seattle and the Space Needle from the ferry.

Space Needle and Pike Place Market are also very fun. We enjoyed Salty's in Alki Beach for a meal and Dahlia Lounge (Tom Douglas) in Seattle. Enjoy your trip! :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: itinerary advice

Thanks for everyone's advice! It's so helpful.

I'm doing two nights in Glide because it'll take 4.5 hours to get there from Portland, then the next day we'll be driving out to Crater Lake, and then we'll be driving another 4.5 hours to Crescent City. Do you think it would be too much to stay in Glide, then go to Crater Lake the next day, and then drive down to Crescent City? We're planning on stopping at the Caves, too. Seems like a lot, but maybe the caves aren't worth it?

The Mt. Hood Loop seemed like another long drive, and we're going to see a lot of scenery. I like the sound of Silver Falls; I want to do the 10 Falls Trail, and that will probably take a half day. How long does it take to do the Mt. Hood Loop? I've seen to allow 5-6 hours for it.

I will definitely plan some time for some time in Newport. I made a reservation in Lincoln City, but would it be better to stay in Newport instead? I'm also wondering if we have too much time in Gold Beach, and should instead shift some of it to the northern end of the coast. We're staying at the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, which is kind of a splurge for us, so we wanted to enjoy it for two nights.

Hrm, what's between Cannon Beach and Seattle?

I am definitely considering dinner at the Space Needle. My fiance (who will be my husband when we take the trip!!) and I have gone to one of those top-floor lounges with great views on every vacation we've been on. All of the Seattle stuff suggested sounds great!

Again, thank you for your help! I'm very excited for the trip.

Misty

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: itinerary advice

After Glide then Crater lake I would drive on to say Grants Pass, no need to backtrack to Glide.

Keno, OR
Level Contributor
412 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: itinerary advice

Where are you planning to stay when on that trip to Crater Lake? If you leave the Park and drive north to Medford (about a 1 1/2 hour drive from the Park boundary to the outskirts of the Medford area), you can head over to Crescent City from there--it should take about 2 1/2 hours, to maybe 3 hours, from Medford, depending on how many other stops you make. The Oregon Caves visit will slow you down considerably--several hours, I would think. It is a pretty area to visit, but since we've done lots of caveing in our lives, we only went there once (not HUGELY impressed, and some areas were pretty tough going for the people in our group who were less able-bodied). FYI, just before Cave Junction is a little burg called Kerby--it has a very unusual business having to do with woodworking--wood burls, to be exact. The buildings are whimsical, there are tree houses, a wonderful little shop--our visitors always want to stop and admire the amazing work those craftsmen do.

Because we are so enamored with the redwoods, I'd rather save time for hiking there--we never have enough time over there in those wonderful groves of trees. Have a wonderful trip!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: itinerary advice

We're staying in Glide, which is about 30 miles east of Roseburg. We're planning to drive to Crater Lake from there, and then drive back and spend the night. I think it's about an 1-1/2 hours there from Glide, and then it would be 2-1/2 hours to Medford. So, about 4 hours driving time. Does that leave enough time to see Crater Lake and not feel rushed or exhausted?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,109 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: itinerary advice

Misty--Do the space needle for the views, but really, the food is awful and you are much better going pretty much anywhere else for a special meal. The great thing about Seattle is that there are so many choices...too many:)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,053 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: itinerary advice

There's lots to do in and around Yachats. First of all, the Overleaf sits adjacent to the Historic 804 trail, a 1.5 mile walk (notice I didn't say hike) along the ocean. Truly beautiful. Cape Perpetua is 3 miles south. Here there are miles and miles of hiking trails, the best tide pools on the Oregon Coast and a fantastic visitor's center. Further south is Heceta Head Lighthouse, considered to be the most photographed on the west coast. Tours are avaialble. And, just a mile south of Heceta is Sea Lion Caves, the largest sea cave in the world.

Newport is only a 25 minute drive north. The historic bay-front, Hatfield Marine Sciences Center and Oregon Coast Aquarium are some of the attractions.

The drive from Gold Beach to Yachats is varied and quite nice. Some of my favorite places are Port Orford Heads State Park, the town of Bandon (old town), Sunset Bay and Shore Acres State Parks, The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, Jessie M. Honeyman State Park and old town Florence.

Check out www.oregonstateparks.org for more information and photos of state parks.

Dennis