We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,061 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

Hello all - I'm looking for some advice for a good route to take coming back from Yellowstone (starting and finishing in Vancouver, BC). We'll be camping (tent trailer, two kids, small dog) and I don't really have a time frame, except that the whole trip will be about 16 days or so and probably Yellowstone/Grand Teton will eat up about 5 or 6 of those. So, really just a drive through to get home, but looking to travel some unfamiliar territory.

I'm considering heading to Boise, then Route 20 to Bend and up to Albany, then I-5 home. This would all be new ground to me and I have no idea what there is to see. Am also considering returning through eastern WA, so I'm just fishing for options right now.

Thoughts? Alternatives? Suggestions along the way? We did the Oregon Coast a couple of years ago (actually, I think it was while planning that trip that I discovered TA and NOW look at me!), so really looking for some inland destinations.

Lets say 4 - 5 days overall to get from Grand Teton to Vancouver with a top end limit of about 7 hours of driving.

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,763 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

drive up 75 in idaho to sun valley area, and then over to boise on 21, by the payette river. then you could pick up 20 to bend...that way, you could see our wonderful valley!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,031 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

I've driven hwy 20 through Ontario<>Vale<>Bend several times, usually in the winter b/c it's a pretty flat drive. Not particularly scenic though after you leave Vale IMO. A more scenic drive would be continuing on I-84 from Boise to Baker City, then picking up hwy 126 out through John Day, Prineville, et al. The Strawberry Mts, John Day Fossil Beds and Ochoco Mts are just some of the highlights. You'll end up going through Redmond (just a few miles north of Bend), continuing on to Sisters where you'll pick up hwy 22/20 and directly into Albany.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 16:26
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

If it is warm enough, leave the west exit and go into Butte, Missoula and down the Lolo Pass into Lewiston, Idaho and into Walla Walla, Washington and through the Gorge.

You pass the Continental Divide three times. The clear Water River is just beautiful if you come late enough in the early summer. (Route 12)

Mrs O

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,061 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

Perfect, absolutely perfect. This is what I needed to know. Thank you. I have zero familiarity with this area so am really looking forward to being able to pass through this time, with an eye to what we might return and explore in the future.

I will toss these ideas into the hopper and see what comes out. I'm just starting to look at this now with an eye to doing this trip next summer, so I'm very open to other routings.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 19:27
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

Great! some of the pictures we've taken on this route are so stunning along the Clear Water River that you can 't tell if the trees are upside down or not. The River is that picturesque and clear.

We've stayed at Kunkleville outside of Orofino, Idaho. They have a steak dinner there where you barbeque your own steaks they provide and they supply the biggest potato and salad. Then sit with everyone else family style on the patio and eat. Not the fanciest hotel but we love it.

Mrs O

6. Re: Returning from Yellowstone - summer 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 22:15