We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

I'll be relocating in about 2 years and I don't know where to look at in Oregon!

I want lots of sunny days, within a 45 min drive of the ocean and an hour drive of a bigger city (as long as it has a mall I'm good!),

..somewhere with a really nice view of the mountains, lots of wildlife, and preferably one of those small towns where the houses are all spread out across farmland.. where you drive a few miles to get to the downtown area (with shops and such)..

Low crime rate is very important, without an incredibly high housing and apartment cost (I'll be right out of college).. maybe somewhere that needs daycare (I want to start a home pre-k program)

Basically I just want a place with really nice people and a nice view!

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Hey Sarah,

Unfortunately you have defined utopia which even in OR is just a theory. The majority of sunny days are in central and eastern OR and are at least 4 hours from the coast and nowhere near a big city, ie. Portland, Eugene. These last 2 places I mentioned are in what is called the Willamette Valley and lies about an hour from the coast, which is very different from the east coast if you havent been here. Ashland is a nice area in the southern valley, Rouge valley area and gets the least amount of rain west of the cascade mtn range and is only about an hour or so from the coast, but the housing prices are through the roof there, and it is not a large city with lots of malls etc.. Low crime is found in Bend and Ashland, Corvallis in the W. valley, but each one of these places are going to require you to compromise your ideals. Ever looked at CA? Please let me know if I can be more help to you and good luck with your search!

Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

Ashland sounds nice, but low housing is pretty important..there isn't anywhere in the surrounding area where those costs might be lower?

Do they have beaches along the river? Maybe I could live with the ocean within a 4-5 hour drive as long as I could have some sort of beach! I really would like more sunny days.

I have also been looking at St Helens- less than an hour from Portland, right? Do you know anything about this area?

I have looked in CA, but EVERYWHERE there is so expensive! And I like my summers hot- it seems CA has very mild summers, at least in the south.

I would like to narrow it down to a few places to look at (so I could go visit this summer to see if I like it there!)

You've been a great help!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Sillybilly gave you really good advice. CA does have areas though that are quite hot in the summers.

Syrahgirl lives in CA, not here in OR, so she might be able to help you with those areas.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Oh sarah, you are going to ahve to give up something to have something else :)

I am from NYC and believe me, Portland/Oregon is not like NY.

I have lived here about 8 months now- lots of sunny days happened from Aug to about Oct..since then, it is more like sunny days with lots of rainy days.

Towns close to the city don't seem to be that spread out nor do they have farmland anymore-unless you are talking about being half an hour or more away from Portland..

Driving from Portland (downtown) to the Coast is 90 minutes and we do go through nice farmland and countryside..but there does not seem to be anything that would appeal to a young lady on her own with hopes for shopping and starting a daycare center..

Sadly, Portland does not have a low crime rate, I don't know about the rest of Oregon.

It does have high housing costs and apt rents.

You are going to have to do a great deal of homework, forget what you have in the NE and concentrate on what is available and wonderful in the PNW..

Availability to Malls and seashore and farmland are 3 choices that , from what I know of this area, you might not get all at the same time..so figure out your priorities then research!

I wish you Lots of luck! I love it here and we are happy we made the move ( aside from rainy days) but we knew exactly what we wanted..a city environment...and that is what we got.

Hope this helps, you can do it, but a visit here will help a lot with seeing what it is like and getting a realistic view of what you can or will want out of living here.

Best of luck~

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Don't think I would describe Cal summers as mild. Anything north and east of Los Angeles basin gets pretty hot in summer. And LA is not really mild.

Most of Oreg west of Cascades would better fit mild summers. except Medford and surrounds. we did not have AC for example in our last house where we lived 17 years.

As others have said your criteria won't work in Oreg or Wash.

We lived 5 years in Redding CA. now they have hot summers. over 100 for 3 or more weeks in a row in Jul-Aug and up to 115. and 85 plus most of summer. AC was necessity there.

Central Oreg may come closest to your criteria but long trip to beach.

6. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2006, 22:54
Dunkirk, NY
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

OK, so my priorities here.. lol

I guess I can live without malls.. as long as there is SOME type of clothing shopping around (and I'm not talking about wal-mart!)

As for weather, I'm in Western NY (far different weather from NYC) -we get enough precipitation here to match Seattle's (mostly in snow!) so I can handle the rain.. Low snowfall very important though.

I couldn't live without being right near some sort of water (not necessarily an ocean). I'm so used to being able to walk right down to lake Erie I don't think I could get used to not having that luxury!

I can't believe there isn't a lot of spread out land out there though! My Uncle's neighborhood is in PA is perfect- surrounded by woods, each house has about two acres of land, with big long driveways.. takes them just 10 minutes to get into town- it's exactly how I want to live :)

I found this one city called "Falls City" that looked nice- 1.5 hours from ocean, 1 hour from Salem.. only thing is, looking at the pictures, it looked like it might be that sort of town thats full of hippie mountain people and potheads :^/ ..and THATS something I don't want! lol anyone heard of this city and know anything about the people?? Populations only 1000..

Sorry this is soooo long!! Still think I should look in CA let me know..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

Falls City is a logging community. You might like Carlton.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

What would happen if everyone here had two acres of land? The city of Portland would have the same area as the states of Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Deleware combined. Oregon's kinda big on open public lands, parks, and general livability, so we enacted some pretty strict yet sensible land use laws about 30 years ago that prevent the exurban sprawl that you describe in Pennsylvania. I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of freeways we'd have to build to accommodate that.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: relocation..areas I should look at?? PLEASE HELP!

I think you should look in California.