We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BoltBus Review

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
946 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
BoltBus Review

Last weekend I headed down to Portland on the BoltBus. If you're interested in seeing what the buses are like and a quick review, I've written it up and posted it up with pictures on my blog: …blogspot.com/2012/…more

Short story: A good option for getting between the cities, but not without some small issues. For $1, it's a great deal. For $8-15, it's a good deal, but once the tickets get up to $20-25, Amtrak starts getting competitive again, if you can get cheap tickets. Traffic can cause delays, especially if your bus is scheduled to arrive in the afternoons.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BoltBus Review

thanks for the review- I've been wondering about the boltbus and how it compares to Amtrak...

Portland, Oregon
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: BoltBus Review

Its 9:30 pm Pacific Time Zone. I just received a telephone call from my 20 year old son who was taking the BoltBus from Portland to Vancouver, BC. While having his documents checked at the US-Canada border crossing, the bus left. He is now sitting at the border crossing station trying to procure another ride. The Canadian Officers were very apologetic and are trying to help him. They told him this happens with Bolt every few months. I will be in contact with Bolt tomorrow. Please post here if you've had a similar experience or if you have any advice on what action to take against Bolt. Thank you.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BoltBus Review

They really said it happens every few months??? I think once would be enough for a business to learn.

They've not left us but my Sister took the Bolt-Bus from Seattle to Portland and could hardly walk afterward. the seats were very uncomfortable..

How was your son's ride?

You should write a review on the forums where reviews go as well as in the forums. That way they can have a * rating. I would wait until you resolve it with bolt bus. We resolved it by never using them again.

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BoltBus Review

Dan E, I see you are brand new to TripAdvisor. Your post may be removed as it's borderline against the posting guidelines. They state, in part:

"In addition, all of the following topics will be removed or closed with a reminder notice that the content is not travel-related.

- Calls for boycott of any destination

- Petitions or calls for government action in local politics or criminal investigations"

TripAdvisor is not a board for advice on "action to take against" any company.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: BoltBus Review

I have taken the Bolt twice from Bellingham, WA to Portland, OR. Absolutely the most uncomfortable seats in the world. The are made of a slick, hard, fake leather and are sloped downward! You slide forward constantly. So uncomfortable. And don't believe about the advertised "extra legroom". Not true or at least not noticeable. My fanny was actually sore the next day, not backache sore, more like bruised sore!! I've written to Bolt after both times, with no reply. Tough ride. Twice.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BoltBus Review

So did I. Very uncomfortable.

MrsO

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BoltBus Review

Ditto to everything you said. We had to ask the Marriott hotel for a free pillow to save our butt, as we are traveling back to Vancouver on the Boltbus. It was so painful on the way down!! I think the seats have sunk down over time and use. By the way, I am actually writing this review in the BOLT BUS! I just had to push myself up from sliding off the seat as I type. What a joke!!

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BoltBus Review

Surprised at the posts. I didn't ride it myself but got my mom and her friends to ride it multiple times. They love it.

But they get the $1-15 price. That's a total steal so there's really not much they can complain about at that price.

9. Re: BoltBus Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 October 2013, 22:35
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BoltBus Review

You are lucky you didn't actually ride it. OOwwwie on the back.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 21:51