We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Topic
Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

Hey folks,

Has smoke haze been an issue in the Columbia River Gorge, Portland, Mount Hood or coast areas from all the wildfires out West? My 6-week trip of a lifetime across America is crumbling apart after a year and a half of intense planning, and was wondering if my Oregon itinerary is now ruined, too.

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

6 weeks crumbling?? Woo. I recently came from Madras to Portland by the Warm Springs fire Not a major problem

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

A lot will depend on when you come, what fires are burning and where...and what the weather and winds are doing. At the moment, it's more likely that the southern portions of the state will suffer from the fires burning around the Lassen area of northern California. However, there have also been fires in the Oakridge to Waldo Lake area and, sorry to say, it's still early in the fire season.

The coast is not likely to be bothered so long as the winds are coming onshore, not offshore. The Gorge will probably be OK, so long as the Mt. Hood area stays fire-free.

Advice? Come ahead and take your chances, which I think are great for a fine journey. Relax a bit, however, and roll with the punches (if there are any) and don't be a slave to your "intense planning." Some of life's greatest experiences come out of changed plans. If one road closes for some reason, another might just take you to a wonderful surprise.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

I really did not say that the Warm Springs fire was burning off to the west and putting up smoke, but not so bad too make the whole area hazy. I doubt any of that was going into the Gorge.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 15:29
Carle Place, New...
Level Contributor
694 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

How about Mt St Helens....are the fires affecting that ?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

See my response above. It's the best we can do for the moment. No one can predict what will burn tomorrow.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

http://www.nwccweb.us/index.aspx

wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/

These websites will help keep you up to date on fire situations.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

Good post Poppa. That shows where they are on a map which is good to know.

Friend in Calif sent a map of the Calif fires, much worse than NW.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
693 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

Thanks for all the helpful info OP and Phirl, and I apologize for the gloom and doom theme of last night's thread. I've been following the fires the past couple weeks but after reading some news reports last night it really got me down. I've got all my must-see natural wonders lined up after all this planning, and was worried I'd not be able to see half of them.

Thanks for helping me put everything in perspective. Hey, at least the breweries are not burning down!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

All the breweries and brewpubs have put on extra staff and are working extra shifts in anticipation of your arrival.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fire haze an issue where I'm going?

Lassen may be a problem. Fire in the Park. Fire threatening outlaying community to Red Bluff. Doesn't look like much to worry about in NW as of today

Edited: 23 August 2012, 21:13