We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

I live in the Portland area and have been many many places, I am looking for something fun to do in mid November for my birthday thinking of going somewhere for the weekend with my husband. I would be interested to see what anyone has for ideas! I would like it to be in Oregon and driveable so we can leave Friday night and come back on Sunday.

Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Something within about 2-3 hours of Portland? What kind of things do you consider fun?

Fine dining and/or dancing? Seeing historical sights? Hiking? Shopping?

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

I like a lot of things, not really camping sort of stuff (especially in November) but sightseeing, shopping, dining, I like the coast ( we went to Florence 2 years ago for my bday). I also like mountains, just whatever I am open to suggestions.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Bummer being born in November, huh? You can never count on nice birthday party weather! ;-) So my thought would be to go somewhere where the weather is less likely to put a dent in the fun. Which to me suggests a city (if you don't mind traffic).

Seattle's fun for a weekend, and just for a change, consider taking the train up and back. If you drive, a side trip to Woodinville for some wine tasting could fit into the plans. More on the (are you) crazy side, San Francisco. But only if the budget can handle some airline tickets. Heck, if you're a suburbanite, even a weekend in Portland could be a lot of fun.

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Thanks for the recommendation! My hubby isn't crazy about Seattle, but maybe I will look into it more :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

I think the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic area would be be great. Maybe a Bed and Breakfast? Hood River has a lot of them. Or Columbia Cliffs Hotel and Suites. (condos)

Or rent a cabin on Mount Hood..

Autumn color. Be pampered.,

Or Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Washington.

Wishing you a Happy Birthday!

Mrs O

Level Contributor
34,208 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

It's beautiful here on the Oregon Coast! Cannon Beach, Seaside, Manzanita, Gearhart all have beautiful scenery. Here are some websites for you to check out:

www.seasideor.com

www.cannon-beach.net

www.oldoregon.com

Enjoy your travels! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Sisters ... but may be too far?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

I suggest a look at either Whale Cove Inn or The Channel House, both in Depoe Bay. Both are beautiful beach B & B type spots with spectacular views, along with spa tubs outside on the deck. Tidal Raves restaurant is close by. Whale Cove Inn actually has their own restaurant (Restaurant Beck) so you don't even need to leave for dinner if you don't want to!

Level Contributor
34,208 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Whale Cove Inn is stunning! We were very impressed with this property when we did a brief tour and really want stay there and dine at the restaurant. :).

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for November birthday weekend trip

Give Seattle a little more thought. We just spent a great weekend there -- booked the Mayflower Park Hotel's King Tut package. One night in a deluxe corner room (regular price $189), 2 VIP tickets to the King Tut exhibit ($65 value) plus free valet parking ($29 value) all for $229. We also visited the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit at Seattle Center and stopped at the new LeMay Auto Museum in Tacoma on the way back to Oregon. A couple of great meals at Tom Douglas' restaurants near the hotel and the excellent Happy Hour at MP's Oliver bar topped off a fun weekend. Several other hotels, including the Fairmont Olympic, Westin and Warwick also have Tut special packages.