We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sisiyou area weather

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
sisiyou area weather

We are driving from Vancouver to Los Angelas on December the 18th, we are a whole family and has no long driving experience, i heard from friend that the sisiyou pass area is usally icy in this period of time, our car is Mercedes Benz R350, SUV, i did a car check before driving, the dealer tells me that our wheels are at the edge of changing, i want to go change in California, is that safe? Do i need a chain in the sisiyou pass area? what is the weather report about the storm warning mean? i don't get. Anybody can help me?

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
California
California
United States
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sisiyou area weather

www.tripcheck.com

This is your best source of current info on road and weather conditions over Siskiyou Pass. It has been receiving snow and lt looks as though the storm will continue through most of this week.

You WILL need to have to have traction devices (snow tires, AWD, 4WD, studded tires) and, even with all that, MIGHT be required to carry chains. You can buy chains at any Les Schwab Tire store and return them after the season if you don't use them.

Or you can make it a longer, but probably less stressful trip by cutting across from Grants Pass to Crescent City on 199 and going down the 101.

If your tires are already in bad shape...I wouldn't recommend testing their life span going over Siskyou Pass in a snow storm. You should also be aware that snow and ice conditions might occur also in the Mt. Shasta and Shasta Lakes stretches of I-5.

Mentioned in this post
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sisiyou area weather

My goodness yes, by all means get as much tread on your car as you can.

I love the concept that they have built retractable in chains that you can set down whenever you need them. I would bet they are spendy though.

Mrs O

Edited: 17 December 2012, 18:11
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,827 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sisiyou area weather

It is very important to also check the roads for California as there are mountain passes there too, Tieyan W. Click on the blue link below, then click on the red dots around Mt Shasta and Weed and at the state line. That will give you information and photos of the road conditions:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/travelmap.htm

Allow plenty of time and plan to drive only in the daylight if conditions are snowy. Bring food, water and warm clothes with you in the car.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 23:36
Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sisiyou area weather

You should also be aware that just getting to Southern California doesn't mean you'll be snow free. If you go down I-5 you could still get into snow conditions going over Tejon Pass into the San Fernando Valley. At least once or twice every winter travelers get stranded overnight in motels (if they're lucky) that hadn't been planned for.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sisiyou area weather

Thanks very much for the infomation, it's very helpful.

6. Re: sisiyou area weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 05:16