We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couples adventure to Oregon

North Hills
1 post
Save Topic
A couples adventure to Oregon

My boyfriend and I have been saving up to go on a winter trip to Oregon. But so to school, holidays, and work we are late in our planning regiment.

We have $1,000 to spent. He wants a forest, isolated, cabin type of feel where we can hike, explore, and be surrounded by nature. I want the same but with a little add on. I want to see a least a few beaches and visit voodoo donuts. Try some delicious foods and perhaps compete in a food challenge. Who knows?

My question is where are the same places where we can stay , eat, and visit? Is their a possibility to do both locations over a four day period or would it be recommended to choose one and explore that location?

We plan on traveling January 10-14, 2013.

And we live in LA, CA. My biggest concern ATM are our flights.

Hopefully this is enough information.

Thanks for the help guys!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A couples adventure to Oregon

Fly into Portland, stop at Voodoo Donuts on your way to the beach, then head to Neskowin. Lots of cabin-type (beach house) lodgings avaiable there and the beach is one of Oregon's best for walking. Cascade Head and its great hiking opportunitiesare just a few miles to the south. Good restaurants (casual dress, but many with fine-dining quality food) can be found in Pacific City to the north (10 miles) and Lincoln City and Depoe Bay (10 to 15 miles) to the south.

If you head to the mountains this time of year, you're more than likely to run into snow problems, possibly get snowed in or stranded.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couples adventure to Oregon

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor.

First off, are you aware of our weather up here? Wet, cold, rainy, cloudy, possibly snow . . . did I mention it will be raining? I live on the coast and it rains a lot in January. (Since mid-October we've had about 45".) If it's cold it will snow even at the coast.

I say that because in LA it's hard to envision places that have real winter ;-)

With only four days you probably want to stay in just one place.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couples adventure to Oregon

Forget the mountains. Snowshoeing, yes; hiking, no. And, OregonJohn's coastal suggestion is OK, IF you are dressed properly for hiking in cold rain.

Cascade Head is one of our great hikes, but not a short easy one...and not one most people opt for in winter.

Best bet? Stay in a historick downtown Portland hotel and let the weather determine your daytime wanderings and hiking. If weather is really nasty, at least you have all the comforts, pleasures and culinary delgihts right at your doorstep. And that can be pretty romatic, especially on a cold, wet winter night!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,032 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A couples adventure to Oregon

I agree with Opoppa because you would be close to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and could take in the beautifu vistas there as well as all the waterfalls.(weather permitting) See Multnomah Falls. At 620' and road close, she's a beuty..

You would be close to Mount Hood and Timberline if weather permits, but I think it would likely require chains and most rental cars get contract issues (like a broken contract) if you put chains on the car.

Check out www.nwhiker.comd to see what you would like in the area, as well as other areas. It takes care of Montana, Washington, Idaho and Oregon.

Look inbetween WA and OR east of Portland.

Enjoy your planning. There is no lack of beauty and fun here.

Mrs O

5. Re: A couples adventure to Oregon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2013, 10:16