We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March visit?

Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
March visit?

My parents recently moved from CA to Grants Pass. They know very little about the area and aren't able to answer many of my questions.

We're considering a visit for Spring Break (2nd week of March). We will be coming from Texas. We have two boys, 15 and 9 years old.

The boys would like to see snow and the Redwoods. (Not neccesarily together!) Any suggestions or thoughts on a visit that time of year? How far from Grants Pass would we need to travel to see snow? Don't need to ski, but just time to play? Is the drive/distance do-able from Grants Pass to the Redwoods that time of year or will we hit bad conditions? (I know it's a guess, but just mean in a typical March).

The thought is we'd fly into San Fran for a few days then drive up to Oregon. We'd love to know where else we could stop, what else we could visit? Day trips from Grants Pass that are possible in March?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March visit?

You can probably go up to the cascades for snow- Crater Lake will have plenty of snow, but you dont have to go that far- Mt Ashland will still have some snow, but not sure if they have designated play areas. A Day trip to Ashland and/or Jacksonville could be interesting for most in your party.

It genereally should be ok in March as far as driving conditions, if there is any snow it probably wont be too severe and road crews should be able to keep up with it on the major highways-unless some sort of bad storm.

If you fly into SF might as well travel up Hwy 101 through the redwoods and then on to Grants Pass(unless the parents want to come). Its about 1.5-2 hours to redwoods from Grants Pass in good travel conditions.

I-5 is scenic between Redding and Grants Pass, but not alot of must see attractions further south(unless you count the Olive Pit in Corning, CA)-which is why i'd recommend coming up Hwy 101 at least one of the ways to/from SF.

2. Re: March visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 07:17