We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

We are planning a road trip in late July (either 2013 or 2014) and would be grateful for any comments about our itinerary so far. We do have flexibility with time and can spend longer on the trip if we need to.

Seattle – 2 nights – Hotel Andra

Olympic National Park – 2 nights – Lake Crescent Lodge

Mount Rainier – 2 nights – National Park Inn at Longmire

Drive via Mount St. Helens to

Portland – 1 night

Mount Hood – 2 nights – Hood River Best Western Inn Plus or Timberline Lodge at Mount Hood?

Astoria – 1 night – Cannery Pier Hotel

Newport – 1 night – Elizabeth Street Inn

Crater Lake – 2 nights – Crater Lake Lodge

Drive via Grants Pass and Redwood National Park to

Trinidad – 1 night – Trinidad Bay B&B

1 night on route south to San Fransisco

San Fransisco – 1 night – Washington Square Inn (only 1 night because we have been before).

Does this seem ok?

Many thanks

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

Looks like you've done a lot of planning already. Good for you.

Would you be interested in seeing the Oregon Shakespeare festival in Ashland? That's a fairly big thing in Oregon. If so, I'd spend a night there.

I like the volcano stuff in Bend as well too so I'd spend a night there too if you're interested in that stuff.

My guess is people will think you should spend more time in Portland but I'd ask yourself what it is you want to do there to determine how much time you need to stay.

I've never been a major fan of driving so I can't tell you if your routes make sense. Maybe someone else can chime in.

What kind of things to you like to do by the way?

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

Forgot to mention, make sure you stop off at Trillium Lake on your way to Timberline. View of Mt. Hood with lake is fantastic. I think it's the best view of lake with Mt. Hood in the whole area (though anyone please correct me if I'm wrong).

I assume you're visiting the Gorge area too. It's hard to tell since I can only see where you're staying at night.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 03:37
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

I would think that for your Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area vist that you would be more comfortable in Hood River.

If you have dinner a Timberline, the sunset is awesome, sometimes they have Ranger led tours and great food but it is about a 2 hour drive up Oregon 35 alongside Hood River.

You wil be able to see more that way,

Are you aware that we have a "Stonehenge" in our area? Exct replica out in Goldendale past The Dalles. Near Maryhill Museum which sounds like it would fit your requirements. In Washington, if you hike, there is Beacon Rock State Park, It's an extenct volcano tip that was owned by a man named Biddle who built switchbacks to the top. Then there was a road being built through it. so he offered it to Washington as a park to prevent that. They waivered and so he offered it to Oregon who was all over that. When Washington found out, they decided that since it was in WA, they should have the rights. Look for it and other hikes and views and webcams at www.nwhiker.com and you can click on any of the 3 states shown then choose hikes.

I am not sure you would really want 2 nights in Crater Lake unless you are hiking. Then it makes sense.

Stop in at Multnomah Falls and one of the trained and friendly volunteers can fill you in and give you directions, information and historical facts. The CRGSNA is full of history. It was formed during the last Ice Age.

Have fun planning.

Mrs O

Edited: 23 January 2013, 04:46
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
42 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

Hi

Thank you both for your advice and suggestions. Didn't know about the Volcanic area around Bend, and I'm not sure how it would fit in, without missing out coastal area, but it's certainly of interest, also 'Stonehenge' (although we have seen the original at least twice!). Noted that only 1 night necessary at Crater Lake. Is there anywhere you would advice spending more than 1 or 2 nights? Perhaps Hood River area? We do like hiking and sometimes it's nice to just enjoy one area rather than keeping on the move all the time. Thanks again.

Level Contributor
36,378 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

We just spent two glorious nights at The Nines on the Club Level, this was our second stay there. I think you would love this hotel.

Cannery Pier Hotel is an excellent choice for Astoria. Don't miss a meal at Bridgewater Bistro there. Happy Travels! :)

Edited: 23 January 2013, 15:53
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

I am thinking the rest of your trip is ok as is. Just the one night in Crater Lake.

CRGSNA has so many things to see that I think you wil l be thankful of two nights in Hood River there. Be sure to ask for the new section of BW in the back on the top floor. Much quieter.

It looks good.

Mrs O

7. Re: Itinerary 16 day road trip Seattle to San Fransisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 07:16