We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Hi all

There are 4 of us flying out to the US on 2nd march and wanted to get your thoughts on the practicalities of our plan

So we fly into vegas on the 2nd but we've a flight to Portland on the sunday. We have had full day in Portland and going to watch an NBA game on the monday night .Any hing in portland that could keep us occupied in the day?

we then hire to car and begin our road trip on the tuesday.

We are going to drive to crater lake and spend the night there. It looks pretty cool from the photos.

We all like outdoors activies like mountain biking or rafting.etc. I know the weather won't be great that time of year but if we can get out we will, hence our next stop is grants pass. it looks like there's to few outdoor companies there. is it worth staying?

We'll then drive down the coast through redwood nat park. is it what it says on the tin?

So our route takes us to san fran for 3 days and my mates birthday so we'll do the touristy things and have a few nights out. Any advice on decent night spots?

Next stop is lake tahoe. Do you think this route will be open this time of year? If we get there we'll have a couple of days skiing.

Then drive through death valley to vegas and have the last 4 nights there. We're finishing off by watching muse in vegas then fly home on the 19th

Is there anywhere you would would advise we change our plan for in Oregon? Places to spend the night etc?

We dont really have a budget but we cant go overboard as we'll be doing that in vegas.

Thanks for your help guys

Rhys

our plan is to drive to lake tahoe is that wise at this time of year

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Don't drive up to Lake Tahoe unless you have chains and know how to drive in snow. Crater Lake will not be fully open in early March. You should remove it from your itinerary. Early March is still full winter, not a good time for rafting or mountain biking.

I would rethink this trip as it is not suitable for this time of year. The TripAdvisors can help you work out a new itinerary.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

I agree with kaleberg. Crater Lake Lodge will still be closed. Unless you're into snowshoes or cross country skiing, there will be nothing to do except shiver. The sooner you cut over to the Oregon Coast the better.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,857 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Hi, it is a bit early but the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area has a raftig guide who provide you with wetsuits for rafting. Zoller's Outfitters out of White Salmon are known for generations of rafting.

Look at www.nwhiker.com to see if there are any hikes you would like. come prepared for any type of weather.

MrsO

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Wow, ok thanks for the feedback guys. Glad I checked now. I guess US winter is a lot more serious than UK.

Perhaps we'll leave the rafting to vegas.

If we were to skip crater lake and grants pass and head to the coast, where would u suggest we stop off. We have about 5 days to get from portland to san fran.

If we also skipped lake tahoe, would yosemite park be worth a stop? We need to get over the mountains somehow on the way to vegas.

Thanks

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

It's not that the US western winter is fiercer than that in the UK, it's that your trip involved a lot of driving to high altitude destinations. The snow is thick in the mountains. Yosemite will also be snowed in, but that can be an advantage. There will be fewer visitors, and, if you snowshoe, you could have a wonderful time.

United States
Level Contributor
770 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Personally, I wouldn't suggest to a bunch of young, prefer outdoor adventure people (who have to spend a lot of money to get to the US) to come to Oregon in March.

The beaches are beautiful but you can't even swim in the ocean unless you wear a wetsuit (and I'm not sure if it's even possible in Mar).

Can you change the dates or the location? Seems like without Crater Lake and Lake Tahoe - well you're driving far to see little.

Death Valley is fantastic that time of year. Have you been to LA and San Diego though perhaps the city life isn't what you're looking for. I'm not sure how the roads would be going to Zion, Bryce, Upper Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, Death Valley, and Las Vegas would be but that's another option. Still not ideal timing for that route either but perhaps it's doable.

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

So the only definite plans we have are the flight from vegas to portland to collect our hire car.

I've spoken with our friends and taken on board your info. We'll probably head to the coast and work our way down to california. We'll probably cut out a few stops as he wants to spend some time in wine country in california.

So I guess the first week will be pretty relaxed, taking in the sights and scenery.

Could you perhaps suggest 3 must stop places to spend a couple of days? Ideally for scenery.

After this we'll have SF death valley and vegas.

Thanks again

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,857 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

Start with The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and Multnomah Falls the day you get your car. We were out there Thursday and the Falls were running very full. The Gorge is filled with places to stop and admire.

MrsO

9. Re: 16 day Oregon, San Fran, vegas road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 06:18