We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Angles to Portland

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Port Angles to Portland

My wife and I would like to spend aprox 7 days driving from Port Angles WA on 17th September to Portland. Can someone help with a scenic road itinerary through mountain area's. I am a serious advanced amature photographer.

Thank you,

Steve from Australia

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Angles to Portland

I am confused as to your plan. The trip from Port Angeles to Portland does not go through or near any mountains.

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Angles to Portland

I was thinking of including areas like Mt Ranier - St Helens or Mt Hood area.

Would this work.

Thank you.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Angles to Portland

Curious why Port Angeles your start point

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Angles to Portland

The drive from PA to Olympia, along the Hood Canal, is okay but also quite winding. I don't think it's worth the time for the scenery but it's been a LONG time since I've driven that way. PA to Silverdale, then Tacoma, might be a better route if you want to get to the Cascades Mountains. You should ask on the Washington forum for more information about this route as well as scenic drives to / around Mt Rainier, Gifford-Pinchot, and Mount St Helens.

To answer your question in the most general way possible - which might not be doable or recommended - I suggest driving from PA to Tacoma, up to Mt Rainier, east through Snoqualmie NF, south to Mt Adams / Gifford Pinchot, west to Mt St Helens, then south to Portland. There's probably a fair amount of backtracking involved. And, I don't know if there are good roads, or roads at all.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Angles to Portland

Sara, I am still confused but would like to help. WA has two mountain chains that would interest you, the Olympics and the Cascades. You will be right next to Hurricane Ridge while you are in Port Angeles. Would you like some advice about places to photograph the beautiful Olympic Mountains while you are in PA? How long will you be in PA? Why are you starting there?

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Angles to Portland

I am sorry for the confusion. We are starting from Port Angles on our road trip as we are getting a ferry from Victoria BC. I wanted to drive to Portland from Port Angles as we will fly out of Portland to visit family in Chicago. I could start the road trip from Vancouver but that would mean we woud have to return the rental car back to Vancouver. I wanted to see Columbia Gorge and end up in Portland. Perhaps there is too much back tracking as the previous post suggests.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Perhaps we would be better driving direct to Portland and use that as a base?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,207 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Angles to Portland

It is Port Angeles, not Port Angles. If you are seriously interested in photographing mountains, get out a map and follow along with me here. Port Angeles is right at the foot of Hurricane Ridge, which is one of the most accessible entry points to the Olympic Mountains. You can drive to the summit of Hurricane Ridge in 45 minutes from the Port Angeles ferry dock. Once up there, you can drive along Hurricane Hill Rd. for 10 minutes to a beautiful trail that offers superb views. You could also drive Obstruction Point Rd., which starts just below the Hurricane Ridge parking lot, 8 miles to its end. This unpaved road takes you into the heart of incredible mountain scenery, with jaw dropping views. The road ends at two magnificent trails, one of which, the Lillian Ridge Trail, passes along a ridge overlooking a series of jewel colored tiny mountain tarns. If you want to take pictures of mountain scenery, this is the place to be.

You could also drive up Deer Park Rd., which starts in Port Angeles and goes up into the mountains. The views from the trails at the end of Peer Park Rd. are also gorgeous, although not, in my opinion, quite as astounding as those on Hurricane Ridge.

Read up on Olympic National Park. Port Angeles is its gateway. Spend at least one night in Port Angeles and then drive on to Portland. The drive to Portland will take 5 or 6 hours, depending on traffic.

Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Angles to Portland

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

Apolgies for miss spelling.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,882 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Angles to Portland

Hello, Sara

As a newer poster you are doing quite well. No apologies are needed. We all make typos. I am sure the names are confusing to you. We knew what you meant.

One of the things confusing about our state is the fact that most people say they want to see Mt. Hood when infact, they want to see the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and all the waterfalls and hikes.

This starts east of Portland about 15 miles at Troutdale. Be sure to stop in at Multnomah Falls.

Indeed Mt. Hood National Forest is part of the circle and there is a beautiful WPA ski lodge up there called Timberline.

Google the letters CRGSNA and you will see a plethura of beautiful views and hiking and things to do. Or go to www.nwhiker.com and you can get a taste for the beauty just by checking the webcams and hikes (which include pictures so they help even if you don't hike).

Hope this helps

Mrs O

Edited: 29 January 2013, 19:58
Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Angles to Portland

Thank you Mrs O,

Columbia River Gorge sounds like a must do, I will check out the links you suggested. Porland is a city I have wanted to see. What do you suggest to allow enough time to enjoy the area. We are flexible with our schedule.