We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Arcadia, California
2 posts
Save Topic
2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Hi guys! I need some advice for my small weekend get-away to Portland! Any recommendation would be much appreciated!!

some info about my trip:

Arrive at around noon this Sat. at Portland / Leaving at afternoon of Monday. I rented a car and booked a hotel nearby the airport.

I am a semi-professional photographer and my main interest is in nature/landscape photography and I believe Oregon is the perfect place for me to go!

I did some research on 500px and flickr looking for all the great locations to spend my times on taking pictures. So far I only have a small list which being: Multnomah Falls, Latourell Falls, Abiqua Falls...so you get the idea I like waterfalls a lot haha..I also wants to go see Thor's Well at the coast but figure that's a little far from where I stay(near pdx)

Places that I am still looking for: 1. Night sky for clear galaxy(somewhere like Crater's Lake) though it will probably rain this weekend..? 2. More waterfalls! waterfalls that can be reached by driving and is less than one hr drive from PDX. 3. Beautiful scenic places. I know it's not spring or fall yet but if you know any beautiful places nearby Porland please let me know! Be it a cove or beach or mountain full of wild flowers or even forest with small stream of water.

Long post but I really want to get the most out of this trip so any recommendation would be welcome!! Thank you for reading!

Oregon
Level Contributor
764 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

We're expecting a significantly wet, windy, snowy weekend with weather warnings for both mountain ranges. There will not be any clear night sky within an hour of PDX nor mountains full of wildflowers - not this time of year in general or this weekend in particular. Your best option may be a drive out to Multnomah Falls with the hope that the clouds lift for some less gloomy shots..but be careful in case there's snow or ice on the highway out there. Good luck!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Yeah, the weather's gonna be ugly, but if you like waterfalls, the Columbia River Gorge is the place to find them. Besides those you've listed, Wahkeena is another good possibility.

One other I particularly like is Fern Rock Creek Falls, just 50 yards off hwy 6, between milemarkers 30 & 29: …staticflickr.com/3257/5874085978_7955420362… . It would be a convenient stop if you decide to spend a day at the coast. And if you do that, places I'd consider would be Cape Kiwanda, and anything that catches your eye between there and Cannon Beach, where you'll find Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park. In any case, if the weather's lousy, hunker down in a nearby brewpub until there's a break in the clouds.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Good Morning, Albert,

Abica Falls is about 50 miles and a really careful hike from the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. It would take up a lot of your time to reach and hike to. You may want to keep your time in the Gorge.

There is a good book you can get from the library called Waterfall Lovers Handbook. Or use www.nwhiker.com to choose other closer hikes/waterfalls.

Have fun, we have plenty for you to get pictures of.You may like Elowah, or Wahclella. You can find all at nwhiker.

Mrs O

Edited: 22 February 2013, 18:05
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Silver Falls State Park.

Lotsa waterfalls!

Hi albert L and welcome to TripAdvisor. Living where you do, I know that it's hard to believe that it's winter up here, but it is. Right now on the coast (not too far from Thors Well) it is windy, sheeting down rain and about 43º. Days like this do not make for good photos :-(

As of last night's weather report, Sunday is supposed to be drier, but that does not mean clear skies. You can check the weather here:

www.koinlocal6.com/weather/default.aspx

http://www.katu.com/weather

http://www.kgw.com/weather/

Oregon
Level Contributor
415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

We just went to Silver Falls State Park -- it is lovely. Many waterfalls; drippy ferns; mossy logs; quite scenic. Be prepared to keep your camera gear dry -- and your toes.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

The Historic Columbia River Highway is beautiful -- waterfalls, moss-covered bridges, quite scenic. Check on road conditions before going, though -- snow, ice, construction.

http://www.columbiariverhighway.com/

The beach is always beautiful. I've been by Thor's Wall thousands of times, and I must say, I've never seen it like that oft-seen picture that is all over the internet. That general area is stunning, though.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

yes- this is supposed to be a nasty weekend, but agree that Gorge and SIlver Falls might be best options. Snow level going to be pretty low at times so be prepared for snow conditions over coast range if you end up going to the beach for some likely fantastic storm photos...

Snow levels might be low enough to affect Silver Falls-which could be neat if the roads are ok...

Abiqua Falls is near Silver Falls- I would not recommend going to Abiqua with the weekend weather- Silver Falls will give you same effect in a more traveled area...

Arcadia, California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

Very late reply but thank you everyone for your practical and helpful responses! In the end I went to the Historic Columbia River Highway and visited some fantastic waterfalls and wildness. The weather was not the best for hiking but it did get better sometimes. My favorite photo of this 2 days trip is

flickriver.com/photos/albert_lin/8506578116/

It's taken on the short trail of Latourell Falls. The mood and view of this scene has inspired me to go back to Oregon once again. This time I am considering going to Silver Falls State Park for the famous South Falls and maybe even the coast. I would love to go to Abiqua Falls this time but am unsure if I will have enough time. I probably won't be taking a lot of pictures on the waterfalls. I guess I am just in love with the moody wildness that has a sense of loneness and lost in general, which I can't really find in Californian forest. Again, thank you everyone for the advices! Let me know if you have anymore recommended and scenic spots :)

p.s. I wil choose a sunny days for this trip for safer hiking in the wildness ><

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,992 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

You might check with your local library or a good bookstore and pick up one of Ray Atkeson's photo books. His pictures of scenic Oregon are renowned, and I don't think he missed taking a photo of any Oregon site worth shooting. That should give you plenty of suggestions for places to visit.

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

The coast has some beautiful places to photograph! Your photography is awesome. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 and a half day photo trip/where to take scenic pictures?

>> I guess I am just in love with the moody wildness that has a sense of loneness and lost in general, which I can't really find in Californian forest.<<

Ah, but you can! You simply need to get slightly off the beaten track in the redwoods around Crescent City, Klamath and Eureka :-)

For coastal photography, there are literally hundreds of locations that will give you some nice shots. The southern coast is a bit "wilder" and less populated than the central and northern coasts, but even there we don't have anywhere near the population of southern Calif. Around Yachats is a perennial favourite. Google - yachats oregon photos - and you'll find tons of examples.