We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
225 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Hi! Me and my sisters are going to be in Oregon for about 5 days in mid-May. I don't have an exact itinerary, but here are a couple things I want to hit

1. Portland - 1-2 days

2. wine country (I understand this is pretty close to Portland) - 1/2 to 1 day, maybe on the way to something else

3. breitenbush hot springs - I really want to stay here for a night, looks like a lovely place in Mt Hood area.

4. driving the coast, maybe to Cannon beach and Three Capes loop. 1-2 days

Is this too much for 5 days? maybe I'll add a day.

We love food (I hear Portland is a foodie heaven!), wine, yoga, and hiking. Nice b&b suggestions are appreciated, as well as restaurants (food trucks or uber-cool, it's all good!). And please help me get a grip on driving times between all these places I want to visit! Thanks a lot, lovely people!

Level Contributor
36,169 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Portland is foodie heaven! Check out Little Bird Bistro, Le Pigeon, Departure Lounge, Bluehour and Urban Farmer. We just enjoyed our second stay at The Nines on the Club Level. It's an awesome hotel. Have fun! :).

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Hello, lady_winter

Breitenbush looks like it sure has changed from last year. But read it carefully. I love hotsprings but this one is rustic. If you don't mind shared baths and rustic accomodations then I would go.

There is another hotsprings in the Columbia River Gorge Natonal Scenic Area called Bonneville Hotsprings that is more upscale. The outside spring pools are chemically treated as per law but the inside your room (or on your patio) rooms facing the mountain are great. The hot tubs are big enough for about 5-6 people and are not treated in any way. It's in Washington near the dam. We go there periodically. I think it's a nice area. Not too far from Multnomah Falls and over the Cascade Locks Steel Bridge of the Gods. (toll bridge $1)

I would suggest you add the extra day and make it in Hood River as they have great B&Bs there. It is a small mountain/river town and I think you would enjoy it. Another thing we do.

In the CRGSNA there is a great AVA and some of the wine is Italian, made by a first generation Italian. There is a wine map, fruit loop map, century old steam train (www.mthoodrr.com) that used to pick up fruit along the fruit loop.

The Gorge is almost border to border but the CRGNSA is almost 293,000 acres. From Troutdale to The Dalles. There is even a Stonehenge replica out in Goldendale WA. It's just outside of the CRGNSA boundries.

If you go into Multnomah Falls Visitor Information Center, they have brochures and trained volunteers who can give you daily information about the area.

Have a great Sister get away! (I am having my own Sister getaway this week- it's almost over and I wish I had more time.)

Best

MrsO

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
225 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

OMG Bonnevile hot springs looks amazing! I don't mind the hippy Breitenbush though. I'll have to figure this out...

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,029 posts
459 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

5 nights seems so little for that schedule..portland is worth a few days, alone. and the wine country, heaven..the food carts in portland that we visit (this year we will go to another pod) is the one at 10th and Alder..too many to choose.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
225 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

I really want to make it to the coast, though. Maybe we can station ourselves in Portland and take day trips to Hood river and wine country, and then take an overnighter on the coast?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

That would work, but book your coastal lodging soon :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

You might want to plan winery visits on the return to Portland after the overnight at the coast. Hwy 6 from Tillamook to hwy 47 then south puts you into the heart of wine country, and you'd have several good options for routing back to Portland. Just leave the coast early enough to arrive in wine country around 11:00am, when most wineries will be open for tasting.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Hood River has a great AVA for wine too. So you can combine some of your loves together. There is a wine map for there you can pick up at Multnomah Falls.

Chicago,IL
Level Contributor
225 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

Anybody with good Hood river b&b recommendations? Thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon in May for 5 days, itinerary help

I have found the many we stay at to be delightful, but you can look at the top of the page in the Hood River Forum, then look to the left and read the many reviews that fellow TA posters have left about the BnBs there. (under hotels, then specialties I believe)

Only you know what you want in a BnB .

Be aware that if they are on the river you should ask about freight train noise as they are on both sides of the river. If you are a light sleeper you may want to avoid the river-side places and go into the city of Hood River or Parkdale. Also read the menu for breakfast as some are vegetarian. That may be great or not depending on your taste buds.

MrsO