We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Topic
Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

Hi, I will be staying in Ashland for 2 weeks in May. For 1 week I will be doing a shoemaking course and for the other I will be sightseeing and seeing some performances at the Shakespeare Festival.

I really want to go to Crater Lake & to the Oregon Caves National Monument.

My question is how accessible or inaccessible are these sites to visit without a car? Are there tours which visit these locations that I could arrange through a tourism office?

I'm flying in from Australia, and wasn't planning to rent a car while there, but I think it may be a bit difficult to see some of the sights without one.

Thanks for your help.

Hollie

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

http://www.ashland-tours.com/

Don't know anything about this company, but you check out their offerings. You really need a car to get to anywhwere in southern Oregon from Ashland. In May, only the southern entrance to Crater Lake will be open. The rim road will still be deep in snow, but the lodge might be open, Weather will be very unpredictable.

Finding tours to Oregon Caves might prove even more difficult.

During your first week in Ashland, you might very well meet some locals who would like to take you around (or, at least, be able to give you better answers). You should also let the weather be a guide...rain in Ashland could very well mean bad weather on the way to and at Oregon Caves and snow on the way to Crater Lake.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

I would rent a car to get around if you could. Have fun! :).

Melbourne
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

Thank you both for your responses, especially the link to Ashland Tours. I will look at the website and do some research.

I didn't realise there would still be possible snow in May, but I guess that's because I live right near the beach and not in a mountainous region.

I am starting to think that renting a car may be the easiest way to sightsee away from Ashland and Medford, so I am looking into that too.

Thanks guys,

Hollie

4. Re: Ashland sightseeing- is it doable without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 05:16