We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving trip in Oregon

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving trip in Oregon

In mid August 2013, we, husband and wife in the early sixties are considering the following route in Oregon:

Beaverton to Astoria, to Cannon Beach, to Manzanita to Pacific City, to Newport to Yachats to Florence, to Eugene, to Klamath Falls to Crater Lake to Bend and back to Beaverton. Our host lives in Beaverton. I am aware of total driving distance of about 900 miles and 20 hours.

1. How many nights should we allow on the way, four or five?

2. Or should we break the journey at Florence and come back to Beaverton and then again start the journey to Bend, Crater Lake and Klamath Falls?

3. What city should we stay at and what hotel suggestions?

4. Since Crater Lake has limited hotels, we wonder if staying in Klamoth Falls makes sense or any other reasonably priced place nearby is available?.

We love nature and scenery of mountains and water. We have done Pacific Coast Highway from SFO to San Diego and loved it.

Thanks Oregon experts!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Cannon Beach or Seaside would both be good bases for exploring the northern coast. Cannon Beach, especially in August, may require a 2-night stay. We usually are at our Worldmark condo in Seaside, so we have fairly limited hotel/motel stays in that area.

Newport would be my choice for the central coast, with many lodging and dining choices. We have 3 Worldmark resorts in that area, but have enjoyed stays at the Waves, Whaler and Comfort Inn. Our favorite dining picks include Blackfish Café and Bay House in Lincoln City, Restaurant Beck at Depoe Bay, and Saffron Salmon, Local Ocean Seafoods, Panache and April's in Newport.

When we go to our WM resort near K Falls, it takes us just a bit over 4 hours (that's starting from 15 miles west of Salem) going down I-5 to Eugene, then 58 over to 97 and down to K Falls. That's driving pedal to the metal! Based on that, driving from Newport to Florence, then over to Eugene and following the same route the rest of the way, I'd estimate a little more than 5 hours to K Falls without stopping. Add in a couple hours for scenic coastal stops plus lunch, you still should make it to K Falls by dinner time. Lodging in K Falls is a bit less I would guess than in Medford or other "gateways" to Crater Lake.

Stay a couple nights in Klamath Falls then enjoy a leisurely drive back to Beaverton. You might want to take 97 all the back to Bend (Hwys 20 & 22 back to Salem) or even up to the Columbia Gorge (just east of The Dalles) and follow I-84 back to the Portland area.

Level Contributor
35,434 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

What is your budget for lodging in the Cannon Beach/Seaside area? August is one of the most popular months on the coast, you should book reservations in this area asap if you want to to stay in this area. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

I'd plan five nights at a minimum, more if you have the time. Suggestions for overnight stops depend somewhat on how much time you can take.

Consider cutting inland at Reedsport (instead of Florence). Highway 38 along the Umpqua is much more scenic than hwy 126. If you can add a couple nights, you might want drive the coast as far as Crescent City, CA, then take hwy 199 inland. That route takes you through a section of Jedediah Smith State Park's redwoods.

Is there a reason to go to Klamath Falls? Don't let the name fool you; there are no waterfalls there. I'd suggest Roseburg, Grants Pass, or perhaps the Prospect Hotel as better starting points for a Crater Lake visit. Roseburg makes a lot of sense in that you'd have the nice drive along hwy 138, enter Crater Lake National Park from the north, drive around it, and exit from the north on your way to Bend.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Thrumylens has it right, overnight Roseburg, Crater Lake for day then Bend overnight. No need for K Falls on a loop from Portland area.

Edited: 25 March 2013, 20:29
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Crater Lake lodging -- click on this blue link to see your options in the area, not including Klamath Falls:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23338-Crater_L…

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Diamond Lake (a beautiful lake in its own right near Crater Lake) has a rustic resort:

www.diamondlake.net/New%20Lodging%20Page.html

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Sorry for delay in thanking everyone who provided guidance. We were out on a vacation to NY city and completely turned off the internet. Now I will have to study the contents, since I do not have any idea where these various places are, and then ask further questions if any.

Again thanks a bunch to all of you.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

O.K. After studying great suggestions from the community, here is what I am contemplating. Please comment.

Starting from Monday night August 12th 2013.

Start from Beaverton on Monady Aug 12th morning. Go to Astoria and take coastal highway

1. One night near Tilamook Aug 12th night

2. One night near Newport Aug 13th

3. One night near Florence, if very expensive, then Reedsport Aug 14th Drive on Rt. 38 to Diamond Lake

4. Two nights in Diamond Lake Resort Aug 15 and 16th

Any suggestion? Thanks

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Your itinerary looks like it would work.

My only concern, with horse and buggy it might take a little bit longer. Sorry, couldn't resist. :-) Your AmishTraveler moniker brought back great memories of a fun trip we took to Lancaster, Gettysburg and Philadelphia about 15 years ago.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,388 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving trip in Oregon

Looks like a great itnerary- I think you should be able to find something reasonable in Florence... its a much more tourist friendly town than Reedsport...