We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

East Coast
Level Contributor
81 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

Any and all reccomendations for a basic travel guideline from those in-the-know are greatly appreciated...I 'll glady do more research on the detail, but trying to come up with the best route for our 15 day roadtrip to Southern coast, Crater Lake Area, CA Redwood and Lassen VP.

Arriving 8/8 to Portland will stay in city until 8/10 for Bite of Oregon. Plan on leaving city 8/10 later afternoon. We have from later 8/10 - 822 (have to be back to Portalnd for flight 8/23 by noon)

NOTE: we've roadtriped coast down to Reedsport and Portland/Columbia Gorge/Mt Hood/Bend, McKenzie River area on previous trips - AWESOME STATE!)

This trip: want to hit southern coast, Rogue River boat trip, Ashland/Jacksonville (wine/Britt Festival), Crater Lake, go in to CA for Redwoods NP, and maybe over to Lassen VP. We are geeky - we like nature and history, so we want to spend some time and not do a drive thru..

We have 12 days from the 8/10...would like to stay a few days in each area (?) some more /some less? Nice drive routes to Crater Lake (Rt 138, I've read is good?) We like to hike, explore, get lost...drink wine/beer & eat (as long as we can walk in in shorts - we go on vaca to get out of suits...). We're not fast or long drivers, we like the journey..we stop and "oooo and ahh" alot, walk in shops , stop at museums...you get the idea.

Just basic route ideas would be great...then I can check out places to stay?

Thank you! Thank you!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

If Lassen is a given, suggest you hit 101 at Reedsport then south to Gold Beach, make sure you have room reservations, jet boat there spend some time in Boardman SP, then Redwoods south of Crescent City. You could spend a couple of nights in Eureka and go south to Avenue of the Giants, then next day take 299 to Redding and then to Lassen. Then I-5 to Ashland, 62 to Crater Lake and then 138 down N Umpqua, very nice to I-5, then to PDX

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

You can do a "circle route", but I'm wondering if you'd be better off skipping Lassen and going to the Bend area instead. There are some interesting things to see there, including the lava cave where you can walk for about a mile underground! Check out Newberry Volcanic Monument.

There is lots to do and see in the redwoods. I can give you a bunch of links to read if you'd like!

Now, as to the shorts . . . well, even in August it may not be warm enough on the beach, LOL. But since you've been here before you know that Oregon is a very casual state and perhaps with the exception of a few "lah-de-dah" snooty Portland restaurants, you can wear whatever you like anywhere. Well, within reason ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

sounds like youve already been to Bend- I might also suggest visiting Lava Beds National Monument in California north of Lassen- interesting terrain especially if you like caving... otherwise its probably too hot for above ground hiking in August...

Britt Festival a fun venue... make sure you go to the Jacksonville cemetary- iinteresting and peaceful place.

Hwy 138 is the 'best' route in my opinion to/from Crater Lake.

4. Re: Help! Southern Coast/CraterNP/Redwoods/Lassen Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:15