We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodeo choice

County Armagh...
Level Contributor
316 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Rodeo choice

Hi, my wife and I will be in Oregon in June and according to rodeoz website there are several rodeos around the same date. It doesn't matter where it is as well be travelling around so basically the question is is which is the best one to go to. Thanks

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rodeo choice

Molalla and St Paul are over July 4th days. They attract some national cowboys. I checked rodeoz for June. not a lot then. Spray is a small town in Eastern Oregon that attracts local cowboys. It is close to Painted Hills. Sisters might good, but think it may be crowded. Union might good. think it might have more variety. only one of those I have been to is St Paul.v

most of rodeos I enjoyed are later. Joseph, Morrow County Fair, Elgin.

Long Beach...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rodeo choice

When is the Pendleton Roundup? In the Fall?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rodeo choice

Pendleton Round-Up is teen weeks in Sept. In my youth I was a regular there. I summered in Heppner til I went to college, then summers between terms worked in Pendleton. I always quit summer job just before Round-Up, so I could work there, I parked cars, and go to events specially the Happy Canyon evening things. I worked in John Day for 5 years and went then a few times, but not since, too hard to get into Pendleton. and my cousin who lives there always has a full house

Long Beach...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rodeo choice

Thanks, Phirl. Too bad OP won't be around for the Pendleton Roundup. It is really a good one.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rodeo choice

Yes all the big cowboys go to Pendleton

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rodeo choice

Sisters is very good one but order tickets ahead as it is very popular with spectators, very busy. Book lodging well ahead in the area.

Tillamook is a *great* small rodeo! http://www.tillamookrodeo.com/

If you're puzzling over rodeo terms I can help :-)

Bandera, Texas
Level Contributor
198 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rodeo choice

Hi! My friend and I are coming to the Pendleton Round Up this year. We love to country/western dance. Does anybody know if there are dances after the rodeo performance?

Any and all tips and advice will be appreciated, as this is our first time to attend the Round Up.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rodeo choice

Happy Canyon in my time was open soon after the rodeo show. They always had music and dancing and some beer. Hope someone else can help with current bars or pubs with dancing. There were 2 or 3 in my time and always packed to the walls. I pretty much stayed away. Then I did not yet have a partner and it was easier to find someone to dance with at Happy Canyon

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rodeo choice

You can't go to the Pendleton Roundup and not go to the Let 'er Buck Room. I don't remember seeing any dancing there, but I'm sure if it's happening at nearby bars, that's the place to find out about it.

Isn't Happy Canyon the name of the Native American pageant/show, phirl? (which I'd recommend you pass on, misstee)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rodeo choice

I will see you there- It's my first time too- then I can comment on the latest places to go :) Agree that the Let 'er Buck Room is legendary... the roundup seems like the type of event where you could just ask someone on the street where the best action is...

I just had to Google and it looks like phril's suggestion which is called 'Goldies Bar' after the Happy Canyon show still is around and sounds like a blast as well.

Hope you have found a place to stay- I made reservations in March and am staying in Hermiston- mostly b/c the prices in Pendelton are outrageous... pretty much everything within a 50 mile radius will be booked...