We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week/Portland and visit to coast?

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
One week/Portland and visit to coast?

We are in our mid 50s (okay, late 50s), and will be flying into Portland for a week, including the 4th of July. We have never been to Oregon. We like the outdoors, good restaurants, cool towns, and nice rooms in nice hotels. We will have a car.

We thought we'd spend a few days in Portland, a few days on the coast, and a day or two back in Portland. Any specific suggestions?

Looking at the Monaco to start in Portland, and RiverPlace to end in Portland (for the 4th of July). Or staying on the coast for the 4th?

Looking at Whale Cove Inn in Depoe Bay, or heading up to Cannon Beach? Would love to see whales, seals, uncrowded beaches....

Any ideas? Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

If your budget can afford it, the Whale Cove Inn is a great place -- stunning clifftop views and numerous sandy beaches within a short drive in both directions, The on-site restaurant, Beck, is one of Oregon's best. Chef Justin Wills is a culinary star and was recently named a James Beard nominee for the second straight year.

Other neaby coastal restaurants worth a stop include Blackfish Café and Bay House in Lincoln City, and Saffron Salmon, Local Ocean Seafoods, Panache and April's in Newport.

In Portland, our favorites include Ringside Steakhouse on Burnside, Ringside Fish House downtown, Nostrana, Paley's Place, Heathman Hotel (bar menu for good casual fare), Genoa, Jake's Famous Crawfish and Piazza Italia. I know I'm leaving out quite a few, but this is a good list for a week in Portland.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

I am not sure if you are aware that the Blues Festival is the 4th-7th of July. Riverplace is usually booked solid during that time. Actually, many hotels are fully booked that weekend that are near the waterfront where the festival is. Book ahead and take what you can get at this point.

It is a great festival and a lot of bang for your buck. $10 suggested donation but I think everyone pays that or more plus cans of food. It is a benefit for the Oregon Food Bank with an incredible lineup of blues musicians.

Level Contributor
35,259 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

The Riverplace is a great hotel choice in Portland. Another place you may want to consider is The Nines in downtown Portland. Beautiful rooms, lobby, two great restaurants and prime location. Our last stay in Jan. we had a corner room with beautiful views on the Club Level.

Enjoy your travels! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

Lemstar

I am not sure but I think you could see or walk to see the fireworks from RiverPlace.

Wil you be going out to the Columbis River Gorge National Scenic Area at all? Just east of Portlland on I-84. Lots of waterfalls. Hood River is a Cool City... LOL

;-)

Mrs O

Edited: 02 April 2013, 17:27
sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

We dont really have any plans set in stone yet. I have booked hotels that are all refundable/cancelable. We have 3 mights at the Monaco in Portland, 3 nights at Whale Cove Inn, and then 3 nights at RiverPlace, but couldnt get riverview room.

How far are the waterfalls and columbia river gorge area from Portland? Could thatg be a good day trip? Why did you LOL about Hood River being a cool city? (bc it was "cool"? LOL).

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

They start at Troutdale, about 15 minutes east of Portland on I-84. Or take exit 17 at Troutdale make a left through town, go across the concrete bridge (SANDY RIVER) and take the Scenic route up the mountain and see more. You will run along the Sandy and start seeing some before you get to Corbett.

After Corbett you will see the Womans Forum, a viewing spot then the beautiful Crown Point Vista House with 3 stories and a copper dome. Beautiful views of the river gorge.

Then several like Lauterall -Bridal Veil (that one is a hiker)-Wahkeena and Multnomah- Horsetail then Ainsworth State Park and a choice because it reaches the end there and goes onto I-84, east or west.

Mrs O

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

What are your plans for Portland? I ask because, as most locals know and most visitors learn, the best of Oregon is found outside of its cities.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

Uhhhhhh….um….well, sort of, yeah, uh….no. : /

We do need a good rest-and-relaxation trip---my husband acuses me of planning too much---but my ears and eyes are open to suggestions--keep in mind, he won't want to travel around every day---thoughts?

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

I was just thinking, with 6 of your 9 nights planned for Portland, you'll miss much of what people most enjoy about Oregon. Others will have different ideas, but if it were me, I'd cut the Portland stay to 4 nights and add 2 nights in a north coast beach town. And I'd use one of the days in Portland for a trip up the Columbia River Gorge.

Did you know Oregon produces some of the best pinot noir in the world?

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One week/Portland and visit to coast?

Where in the north beach area? Any specific hotel suggestions? We are scheduled now to be at RiverPlace 7/4-7/7, and the Blues Festival is there too….which is good for us….but again, I am flexible….