We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Moab, Utah
4 posts
Save Topic
Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

First post! Looking to spend a lot of quality time here in the years ahead.

We're flying into PDX at the end of May to pick up our rental car headed towards Yellowstone, then we'll we coming back through Seattle and down along the Oregon coast on our way back to Portland.

I thought I would ask the community about things to see along the way while mentioning our current itinerary which is always subject to change.

Our first stop is Columbia River Gorge (we'll be taking I-84 out of Portland) as it just seemed too beautiful to pass up. On the way to YNP we don't have any other stops in Oregon, because we don't really have much time.

However, the return trip is basically all but unplanned. My wife really wants to go to Cannon Beach, but other than that we are completely open to suggestions!

Also, we plan to camp everywhere we can. How's the weather in late May on the coast?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Curious plan, flying into Portland from I assume SLC to drive to Yellowstone. why don't you drive from Moab to Yellowstone.

If you fly into PDX suggest you travel in NW, much to see here

Moab, Utah
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

I created my profile not intending to post on the forums. Not actually from Moab :) Better change that.

We will be flying in from MCI in Kansas City. And yes it's going to be a lot of driving, but Portland ended up making the most sense in the end. Cheap rental cars and plane tickets being the main reason. It started out as a CO/Yellowstone trip then we realized we need to see the NW!

Baker City
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

800+ miles from Portland to Yellowstone.

Maybe 200 miles driving in Yellowstone.

800+ miles from Yellowstone to Seattle.

200+ miles from Seattle to Oregon Coast.

You say you really don't have much time.

Doesn't sound like a good plan.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor. How much time do you have for your trip?

As far as camping at the end of May . . . Memorial Day is usually packed just about any location on the coast. Book ahead.

Weather is often rainy :-(

But not always :-)

Cannon Beach has three campgrounds - Wright's for Camping, Sea Ranch, and Cannon Beach RV Park. Each has advantages and drawbacks. I'm not sure Cannon Beach RV Park accepts tents.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Hi, welcome to TA,

I wondered if you are aware that the west entrance is in Montana and mostly snowed until July? The west entrance would probably be the entrance/exit you would use. It's pretty near the Continental Divide. The altitude is up there.

I would check weather and lodging to make sure it is doable in Yellowstone in May.

Check around and let us know.

Best Regards,

Mrs O

Moab, Utah
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Thanks for the camping advice. half-Brit. We will have 8 days for this trip.

Mrs O, we were not aware of the west entrance being snowed in! We are driving in from the south actually, but planned to leave through the west. We can re-arrange the trip to leave through the north without too much trouble i think. Is calling Yellowstone the best option to check for road/route conditions?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

I suggest you post to Wyoming TA board about entrances to Yellowstone.

Baker City
Level Contributor
192 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Yellowstone West Entrance opened on April 19: http://www.nps.gov/yell/conditions.htm

I have visited Yellowstone several times in May and it has always been open.

Moab, Utah
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

Fantastic!

10. Re: Portland to Yellowstone to Oregon Coast to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 07:17