We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Portland and Seattle

Waleska, Georgia
Level Contributor
34 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Portland and Seattle

We are a mid-forties/mid-fifties couple wanting to travel with a window of the last week of June and the first week of July of this year. We enjoy scenic drives, spectacular nature, moderate hikes, history, good food, and adventure. We want to stay either in Seattle or Portland at a 3-4 star hotel to take advantage of internet package prices and drive out on day trips. Our budget for the trip of 7-8 nights is around 3000.00-3500. We do not know the best part of town in either place to be primed for venturing out. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are not locked into the package thing if we can stay in our budget with overnights on the way around at moderate prices.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Portland and Seattle

If you were just going for an urban experience, I would likely shoot for Seattle -- a lot to do; very scenic; and the setting is beautiful.

If you are going for the combo of urban experience AND day trips to the surrounding areas, I would opt for Portland. I find it an easier city to navigate in terms of traveling in and out of the city, and I think there are more interesting day trips. Within an hour or two of Portland, you could:

1. Go to Timberline Lodge on the flank of Mt. Hood for lunch and a short hike.

2. Drive east along the Columbia River Gorge along the historic highway and see beautiful waterfalls and vistas; have a meal in charming Hood River and be back in Portland in time for dinner.

3. Drive to Cannon Beach on the Oregon coast for the day [or a few days] and explore.

4. Head south on 99W and go winetasting at all sorts of wineries.

And Portland is very fun to roam around -- good food, nice people, fun things to see and do. We generally stay downtown at the Paramount, but there are several downtown hotels that are nice [Benson, Heathman, Vintage Plaza, etc.]. There is a large waterfront blues festival over the 4th in Portland that is very fun and well-attended.

Since your trip is quite lengthy, you could break it up -- Portland and Seattle are only 3+ hours apart by car.

2. Re: Itinerary Portland and Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 05:18