We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west cascade scenic drive

Centerville, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
west cascade scenic drive

We will be leaving Florence heading for Hood River area on our Day 6 and if we do a lot in that area that morning we might just go up I-5 to be quick but I was looking and I am thinking about going over to Reedsport and taking a scenic highway up to 5 then over on one called West Cascades scenic by-way. Is this worth the extra time or would it just be better to go up 5 and see some of the Gorge before evening?? We will have most of day 7 to see the Gorge as well before we head up to Federal Way for the night to fly out the next morning.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west cascade scenic drive

I was on the Oregon Scenic Byway Comm. The West Side Cascades SB is really a pleasant drive through the woods as an alternate to the boring I-5 drive up the valley. It is nice but not really worth going from coast to Oakridge to start it.

Best part of it is the McKenzie R Hwy 126 and McKenzie Santiam Pass, but that is a few miles out of your way.

Silver Cr Falls SP is possible diversion on way north.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west cascade scenic drive

For beautiful scenery, we far prefer Hwy 38 along the Umpqua River. It's a lovely drive and you're just about guaranteed to see elk at the Dean Creek viewing area. It would add roughly an hour to your timing, if you then just pop on I-5 to go north.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: west cascade scenic drive

Another option to see more ocean:

Head north on the coast to Newport and cut over to Corvallis; then north on the interstate or 99W [2 lane highway].

Fraser Valley, B.C.
Level Contributor
153 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: west cascade scenic drive

Phirl, is the Santiam Pass/mackenzie highway open? We've wanted to take that route for a while now, but as of 2 summers ago, it was not open. If it is we'll head that way this summer.

5. Re: west cascade scenic drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:18