We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September coastal trip

Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
September coastal trip

My husband and I are flying in and out of Vegas for 3 weeks in September . We plan on driving to Yosemite then up the coast of California , Oregon and Washington . We do not plan on much time on California coast as we spent 3 weeks several years ago driving from Channel Islands to above San Francisco . We are interested in photography great seafood and ocean views . Due to health issues we will no be able to do any hikes or anything too strenuous . Any absolute must see places on the Oregan coast and is it necessary to have reservations in advance ?

thanks for your input .

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September coastal trip

There are a variety of highlights along the Oregon coast. Are you intending to drive the entire coast?

I'm guessing you intend to see Yosemite, cut across to Highway 1(?) or 101(?) about . . . where? Then continue north seeing the redwoods and Oregon coast. Hwy 101 in Washington doesn't spend much time on the ocean - were you interested in Olympic NP?

Then you'll be returning to San Francisco or flying out of Seattle?

What types of lodging do you prefer? If you like upscale oceanfront resort type, then I'd suggest booking ahead even in September. If you like average or smaller, older mom-and-pop motels, you shouldn't have to, although Labor Day is *very busy*.

You must book well ahead for Yosemite - ASAP.

Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September coastal trip

We have reservations in Yosemite as we knew that was a must . We also have reservations in Turlock , California for the night we will drive out of Yosemite . We have driven the California coast as far up as Pt Reyes so need the shortest route to just above there . I have looked at the Avenue of the Giants as a possible side trip and wondered about Redwood National Park . We would like to spend the most of our trip on the Oregon /Washington coast and are hopeful we can do at least a portion of Olympic NP . We are trying to get as much of the "flavor " of the coastal towns as possible allowing for the fact that we will have to pick and choose due to time constraints . Budget is flexible but don't have to have 4 star , I always rely on TA for reviews ! . We arrive on Wednesday after Labor Day and will fly into and out of Las Vegas . We are used to long drives , wish we had at least a couple of weeks more but will settle for 3 weeks . Thanks for your input .

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,073 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September coastal trip

Are you aware that we have a beautiful Gorge with breath taking views? Waterfalls? Street close so you don't have to hike.

You don't have to go there but I wanted you to be aware that the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area is close to Portland. It's east on I 84. (Check out Multnomah Falls)

Some people do both, some are only interested in the coast.

You seem to have your trip pretty will planned. Have fun in Oregon.

MrsO

Level Contributor
80 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September coastal trip

I haven't done as much research on the Gorge but if we can work it in would love to see it .. This will probably be our last time to get to this area so would like to see as much as possible .

thanks !

Level Contributor
35,741 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September coastal trip

Cannon Beach is a beautiful area! www.cannon-beach.net. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,956 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September coastal trip

It's definitely worth seeing the redwoods and you can see a lot from the car or with easy, short walks. From Turlock, I might suggest going north on 99 to I-5, then cutting west on Hwy 20 at Williams, then continuing north on 101 into Oregon.

That's a fairly scenic drive and is easy. Once you are on 101, lodging is quite limited between Willits and about 75 miles north of there, so plan acordingly depending upon what time of day you are in Willits (if you decide to take that route).

There is lots to see in the redwood empire. Here's a website that will give you an overview of the area:

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

7. Re: September coastal trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18