We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Hi Everyone,

We're planning a trip to the NW for next summer. At the end, we will be traveling from Port Angeles, WA back to Portland, OR where we will be flying out of. We'll have our (not yet born!) infant with us so I want to do an overnight somewhere along the way. I'm torn about whether to do this somewhere in the ONP area (Lake Crescent, etc.) and drive more the next day or whether to drive further to the Oregon coast and stay somewhere there (probably Astoria or Cannon Beach). I'll schedule our flights so we have time to see whichever we decide - just not sure which would make for a better overnight for our last night in the NW. Would appreciate any suggestions - posted on the WA board as well!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
168 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

To get some ideas started, check out a few of these places (I won't include links; you can find them all via Google or TripAdvisor):

Alderbrook Resort, in Union, WA - closer to Port Angeles, but a nice place and would still allow a not-too-long drive to Portland

Chehalis and Centralia, WA are almost exactly half-way between Port Angeles and Portland, so you could look at the places rated on Trip Advisor for those towns.

You might want to add a ferry trip across Puget Sound, instead of driving all the way, in which case you could drive to Bainbridge Island or Bremerton, then take a ferry to Seattle and spend a night there. Be cautioned, though, that traffic in Seattle can be very heavy, so you'd want to allow plenty of time to get to Portland.

Making Astoria your overnight stop is do-able, but look at a map to see the roads to get there. It's not as straight-forward as driving down the Washington coast and crossing the river. Most (actually pretty much ALL) of that drive would be inland, and would take the better part of the day.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Do you really mean last night in NW or are you planning a night near airport? Any where near Lake Crescent would be almost impossible to catch flight that next day. Astoria is possible, but would need to be late day flight. Not sure how many flights will work from PDX for you

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Astoria would be doable, the town is interesting and there are several hotels that overlook the Columbia River. However, the road from Olympic Natl Park (Hwy 101) is not particularly scenic. Astoria is more than a 2 hr drive to PDX. If you are planning to take the "red eye", it would work. However, most of the flights to Boston or Manchester leave Portland early in the morning and have one or more stops. (I just booked a flight to Manchester for September. It leaves PDX at 6:30 am)

Centralia/Chehalis would be a little less than 2 hrs from PDX and Longview/Kelso is less than an hour. There are some OK hotels in both areas, but can't think of anything I would highly recommend. Great Wolf Lodge in Grand Mound would be fun if your little one was 5 or 6 years old.

Gordon Ramsey from the TV program Hotel Hell was in Longview last week visiting our historic Hotel Monticello. They do have some fairly decent rooms at a good price in their motel annex (Ramsey was annoyed that he was given one of those rooms instead of a room in the actual hotel). It is in a nice area of town and an easy drive to PDX.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Hi, and congrats on the upcoming birth.

Have you given the CRGNSA a look? We have a beautiful, peaceful waterfall area just past Portland by 20 minutes or so. The Columbia River Gorge between Troutdale and The Dalles was dedicated as a National Scenic Area over 25 years ago. Multnomah Falls is one of the stars in this, the only sea-level gorge.

Reaching the Airport from there is easy.

They are special for their Bed and Breakfasts in Hood River but you can make any arrangements you would like.

Let us know, boy or girl?

MrsO

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
35 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!! Will let you know what we decide!!

PS - MrsO, its a surprise! We decided not to find out! :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

LOL, I agree that is the best way I think. I meant after the birth.. I would love a birth announcement! I love babies. I am a Nana to many

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 23 June 2013, 18:13
7. Re: Overnight between Port Angeles, WA and Portland, OR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 05:17