We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

SAN JOSE
Level Contributor
48 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

Traveling throughout Oregon and Washington for two weeks in July. Brother has a particular taste for baked clams. Restaurant recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Washington Park
Washington Park
1,251 Reviews
Portland, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

Hi, zckzack,

You have me stumped.Wow. I think that is a southern dish. The restaurants here usually do oyster shooters steamed or fried. I have had them baked in South Carolina.

Your best bet is to call around to seafood restaurants and see if they back them. I called Salty's on the Columbia and they hadn't heard of anyplace here baking. That doesn't mean they don't. If it were simple like switching margarine for butter, most restaurants can help out but baking takes time usually not available.

Best of luck finding these..

MrsO

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

Baked clams are not a Southern dish. They are a New England specialty, often served at big beach side picnics. Southern cooking features oysters, lump crabmeat, soft shell crabs, shad roe, herring roe omelettes, and special fish like pompano, but clams are only minor players.

Sorry, Zckzack. I know you have been posting on both the WA and OR forums, but baked clams just aren't a thing here in the PNW. Would oysters do?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

I know there are clam bakes in New England but just plain baked clams are a southern dish too. No sense in fighting. They are baked in a glass dish usually with bread crumbs on top.

I don't see any baked oysters on menus here either. That doesn't mean there aren't any.

m

Eugene, Oregon...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

A little late on the post but zydecos in bend oregon has baked yes baked clams out of this world. You Have! to drink the broth.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,286 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

Thanks for letting us know. You could write a review as it might help others who like them that way. I am glad you found them.

MrsO

6. Re: Oregon restaurant that serves baked (yes, baked) clams

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 07:18