We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

I'm hoping you can help me. My husband and I are flying into Portland on Saturday, 8/24/13 and will be flying back on Sunday, 9/1/13. We will rent a car in Portland. Our main goal is have a relaxing, romantic vacation and at the same time see some gorgeous scenery. We enjoy day hikes in the mountains, waterfalls, huge trees, and wildlife - especially whales, bears, elk, moose, etc. I reviewed a lot of the forum posts and didn't find exactly what I was looking for - so I'd welcome your suggestions.

We also like red wine (not sweet red wine), beer, and good food (not art on a plate that costs a ton of money).

Here is the plan I laid out so far for locations that I'd like to spend the night in (I wanted to spend a little time on the coast but not too many nights as my husband is not a beach person - he would rather be on the go than reading a book on the beach) and also wanted to see Bend/Smith Rock State Park as well as Mt. Hood/Columbia River Gorge. At this point, I don't have any reservations that I can't cancel.

Saturday, August 24th - Portland, OR (arrive at about 11:30 AM)

Sunday, August 25th and Monday, August 26th - Yachats, OR

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday (August 27th - 29th): Bend, OR

Friday, August 30th: Mt Hood area???

Saturday, August 31st: Portland, OR

Sunday: September 1st - depart 1:00 PM

One of our best vacations ever was in Washington State where we went from Seattle to Olympic National Park, down the coast, then to Mt. Ranier (Stormking Spa was the best place to stay very close to the mountain), Mt. St. Helens, and then back to Seattle in a week. We're looking for a similar experience in a new city - we don't want to go back to places we've seen before. I know that OR is a beautiful state. I'm looking forward to the trip. Just need some advice to make this as relaxing as possible. .

Thank you so much for your assistance!!!

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

I think you have worked out a fairly good itinerary. I'm sure you will enjoy the Oregon trip as much as Washington. (I live on the border between WA and OR so I get the best of both).

Allow enough time in the Columbia River Gorge for some great hiking. Might want to cut a night at Bend and add it in Hood River, or White Salmon WA or Skamania Lodge in Stevenson WA.

Portland is well known for great food and brews. Willamette Valley wines are well known. Some of our other regular posters who are more knowledgeable on the best places will give you some ideas.

Edited: 01 July 2013, 04:58
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Hi there,

Have you been to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area? It's the most visited attraction in Oregon. There are two states (WA/OR) 6 counties and lots of room for all of the visitors. Lots of street side waterfalls, beautiful views and more., Lots of history.

Best

MrsO

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Thank you for the advice! We are looking to now spend two nights in the CRG area and cut the Bend trip one day short based on the wonderful advice. Any recommendations on a central place to stay to maximize our time there? Many thanks!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

I would suggest Hood River. Its centrally located for both sides of the CRGNSA (toll bridges) and you can find lodging that is not interrupted by loud nasty train noise.. We personally like the Bed and Breakfasts they have there. Many have water views from a bedroom or dining room window. Many have gourmet breakfasts and the hosts have a wealth of knowledge from living there.

MrsO

Pittsboro, North...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Thanks for the wonderful advice. I have the places to stay booked in the following cities....I'd love to hear any suggestions about must see/do activities:

Sunday, August 25th and Monday, August 26th - Lincoln City, OR

Tuesday August 27th and Wednesday, August 28th: Bend, OR

Thursday, August 29th and Friday, August 30th: Columbia River Gorge Area (staying in Lyle, WA)

We enjoy day hikes in the mountains, waterfalls, huge trees, and wildlife - especially whales, bears, elk, moose, etc. We also like red wine (not sweet red wine), beer, and good food (not art on a plate that costs a ton of money).

Many thanks for the advice! We're really looking forward to our visit.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Try posting on the Portland forum for info on good places to eat and things to see in Portland. You could also check the TA restaurant reviews and the Places to See. However, I think the folks who live in Portland will give you the most up-to-date information on the best, reasonably priced, places to eat.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Not to rain on your parade, but you won't find any moose or bears. For whales you would have to go south to Depoe Bay but before making that trek I would do some Googling to see what trips are available. Huge trees are found in Southern Oregon, and it doesn't appear that you are going far enough south. Elk can be seen near SR-38 in Reedsport, but again that is too far south for your proposed trip. Having said all that, your itinerary looks great!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,119 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

We on the Oregon and the Portland forums can see this very well. You don't have a need to repost. (you would probably get the comment that *I answered on your other post*) so you are good here.

Lyle has a winery as does The Dalles. It's part of the Columbia River Gorge AVA. Maryhill winery in Goldendale has a good selection and history. It has a great covered patio (high up on a cliff) looking over the Oregon side and the River where you can enjoy a picnic after you have chosen wines. The shadows change the look of the landscape all day and evening. They even have a deli incase you don't bring a picnic with you.

About your comment on the sweet wines. Varietals can be sweet or dry depending on the grape and the producer. Marchesi Vineyard in Hood River has Dolcetto, Sangiovese, Pinot Noir, Uvaggio and Bric and many more wines. Many award winning. While tasting and enjoying their patio, complimentary cheese and salami just let them know you don't like sweet wines. Most wines just aren't sweet there. He's a first generation Italian and his whole family helping are very companionable. It's a different wine experience.

You may enjoy Maryhill Museum while near it in Goldendale. Sam Hill was friends with the queen of Rumania. Her throne and jewels were there last time I visited along with many major artist displays. That is close to a replica of Stonehenge that Mr. Hill commissioned. in the 1940s to honor the dead of WWI.

www.nwhiker.com is good for hikes and sunset time and weather and a lot more if you wish. There are many great Interpretive centers all over the area. depending on whether you love Birds of Prey, the Ice Age floods that forged the Gorge or the many waterfalls there you can find places where you will enjoy.

What other information can I offer? I would be glad to.

MrsO

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Here is your copied itinerary with some comments...

You could drive to the coast upon arrival (see the following re: Cannon Beach). Two nights lodging might be required there unless you find lodging near CB, e.g., Manzanita. I'd give it one night, a full day, to visit the town and nearby state parks.

Sunday, August 25th and Monday, August 26th - Lincoln City, OR

I'd not choose Lincoln City, a strip mall (yes, it has some good aspects but you'll see more later). Newport is far better aesthetically and things to see/to do (website, below). You can visit Yachats, not to be missed, from there. Since you'll be taking two full days, perhaps have a half of a third, your first day in OR, apparently, you could start further north in Cannon Beach, but this plan is fine.

Tuesday August 27th and Wednesday, August 28th: Bend, OR

Much to see/to do; it'll be hot, but yes, a dry heat, not like your humidity. You could push yourselves, a bit, and visit Crater Lake National Park as a day trip from Bend.

Thursday, August 29th and Friday, August 30th: Columbia River Gorge Area (staying in Lyle, WA)

With respect for fans of the Gorge, and given my read of your comments, a day there might suffice.

Oregon, Central/Bend Area

http://www.visitbend.com/

traveloregon.com/Explore-Oregon/Central-Oreg…

Oregon Coast

http://www.oregoncoasttravel.net/

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

After you Google Map the route (if you choose to do so yet again) see if Yachats lodging is in the cards; if so, recommend Fireside Motel and Overleaf Lodge, both on this website. Ocean front rooms provide a nice experience. http://www.firesidemotel.com/Fireside_Motel/

Edited: 04 July 2013, 17:36
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 Night Itinerary advice needed - Oregon for the 1st time

Lincoln City has a lot of motels on the ocean, but that said, it is really not at all a good representative of the Oregon coast! Newport would be a better choice, in my opinion. Note that both towns will be quite congested and very trafficky in summer, as will Seaside.

You can whale watch out of both Depoe Bay and Newport.

Elk? If you stay in Newport I can direct you to an area where you *might* see them, without driving about 1½ to 2 hours south to Reedsport.