We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Oregon-what highlights to see?

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Oregon-what highlights to see?

Hi! I am feeling a bit overwhelmed on all there is to do in Oregon! We are traveling there for the first time in early August and will have four full days. We are flying in and out of Portland.

Some things that look interesting to me include: Tillamook Cheese Factory tour and surrounding area with lighthouses, etc, Cannon Beach & Haystack Rock (which I know is north) and Coos Bay (which I know is south). We would also really like to go to Crater Lake National Park and possibly river rafting in Maupin on through along the Historic Columbia River Highway back to Portland.

I know we can't probably fit it all in, so if I had to pick two top areas that would include some driving along the coast starting in Tillamook and also the Crater Lake area. Any tips on the best routes to take and places to stop along the way? We will be traveling with two adults (my husband and me) and two kids (ages 9 & 12). We have been to several national parks in the western U.S. and are used to long road trips so that is ok but we obviously want to see some great sights along the way and accommodate for spending some time in the different destinations.

Thanks for your help!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Oregon-what highlights to see?

Hi, there is a lot to see and do here :-)

Okay, my first thought was that you won't have time for the rafting. But *maybe* we could help you organize your trip so you could include a quick jet boat ride out of Grants Pass-

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g51891-d67…

Your four full days - that's in addition to your travel days?

Portland to Cannon Beach is about 2 hours. You could have some time there then maybe stay somewhere south your first night.

Read the reviews for Tillamook Cheese - they haven't had actual "tours" in many many years. What you do is go inside and look through windows at the packing room, get to taste a couple of different kinds of cheese, and purchase Tillamook products. They are always *extremely* busy.

Tillamook products - cheese, ice cream, sour cream etc - are available in just about every grocery store in Oregon.

Bandon might be an option for night 2, although it's kind of far south. Between Bandon and Crater Lake, you *might* be able to fit a juet boat ride in.

Crater Lake is doable, although it's a drive. The Lodge is most likely all booked up, but there are other options in the general area for night 3. Were you thinking of the hike and boat ride?

So the final day, day 4, could be going from Crater Lake to Portland... that's about 5 hours minimum. You might have time for a quick stop in Bend for something that really attracts you, maybe the lava tube or High Desert Museum.

Just an added thought, there is now cheese factory in Bandon. There used to be years ago, and it closed, but the new Face Rock Creamery just opened. It might be an option - smaller than Tillamook but you see the cheese being made. TA has it listed incorrectly (I'll send them yet another note!) - you'll find it as Facerock Creamery.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,057 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Oregon-what highlights to see?

Assuming the 4 days include starting and finishing your trip in Portland, Crater Lake may be a stretch. Here is what I have to offer for your consideration:

Leave Portland and take hwy 26 to Cannon Beach (~1.5 hrs). Spend time at Haystack Rock and possibly Ecola State Park (2-4 hrs), then head south spending the night in Manzanita.( One option: http://www.sunsetsurfocean.com/ )

From Manzanita, head south stopping at Tillamook Cheese Factory (1 million visitors/year can't all be wrong, can they!?!). Continue south on hwy 101 stopping as you see fit (there will be PLENTY of things that will catch your attention, including several lighthouses!!). Continue at least as far as Florence (Manzanita to Florence takes 3.5 hrs without stopping).

From Florence, again continue south to Coos Bay and (preferably) out to Sunset Bay/Shore Acres State Parks, then take hwy 42 to Roseburg where you will pick up hwy 138 up the North Umpqua River to hwy 97. At the hwy 97 junction, turn north and continue on to Bend. Overnight in Bend.

From Bend, continue on hwy 97 through Madras. Just south of Shaniko take hwy 197 to The Dalles, through Maupin and Tygh Valley. Overnight in The Dalles. You should be able to fit in a raft trip on the lower Deschutes River,

From The Dalles, head west on I84 back to Portland through the Columbia River Gorge.

3. Re: 4 days in Oregon-what highlights to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:17