We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Topic
Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

On Friday July 19th we are leaving for a 9 day road trip. Starting in Seattle we will drive to Bend, OR - spend 2 nights; next to Jedediah Smith State Park - camp 3 nights; next to Yachats, OR - spend 3 nights and then finally head home. We already have all of our lodgings reserved, so now we are looking for the recommendations on things we just shouldn't miss. Our family consists of two grown-ups, 8 year old DD, 5 year old DD and a 1 year old DS. We are road-trip pros and the kids handle the driving really well.

Our family enjoys short hikes of 2 miles or so; nature; parks; Jr. Ranger programs; and animals. Basically anything where the kids can run free and explore.

We have been to the Bend area before and plan on doing the High Desert Museum and the Newberry National Volcanic Monument. However, we are not familiar with the northern CA area or the Yachats area. So, what shouldn't we miss? And yes, I will be reading all of the TripAdvisor sections on these areas, but I’m really interested in personal recommendations.

Thanks!

(I'm going to post this on the CA forum as well)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,594 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Have you considered the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area? East of Portland on I-84.

MrsO

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Also in the Bend area is the Lava tube/cave and Lava Butte. Both are great for kids!

On the coast, Newport has a bunch of stuff like the aquarium, Hatfield Marine Science Center, bayfront (shops/restaurants, sea lions, and boats) two lighthouses (Yaquina Bay and Yaquina Head), and Nye Beach area. Those are the usual stops, but there are more great beach in the area as well.

After Yachats, are you headed back over to I-5 and back up to home or are you heading up the coast at all?

If you are doing I-5, just east of Salem is Silver Falls State Park. This is a great place, especially on a warm day. You can walk under the big falls as the trail goes under them, so you get misted on. Kids love that! You can also go down into the water at the base of the falls.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Hi Beth G and welcome to TripAdvisor. Are you familiar with the listings and reviews? To find something about a particular town (such as Yachats) , just enter the town name in the search box at the top right of any TripAdivsor page.

Then you can click on "Things to Do" to get a list of attractions. Larger towns and cities will have the attractions divided into several categories.

So for Yachats, you'll find the following:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52148-Activitie…

I've lived on the central Oregon coast for many years, so have visited just about all attractions in the area - most more than once, LOL!

South of Yachats, between Coos Bay and Florence, are the dunes. Although your "yearling" is probably too young, the other children might love a dune buggy ride.

They might also be interested in the West Coast Game Park, and the 'dinos' at Prehistoric Gardens - both between Crescent City and Yachats.

Since I'm the Destination Expert for Redwood National Park I'll answer your questions about that area in your other post :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Will take you most of day from Yachats to Seattle. so you may want to head inland at Otis for I-5.

While in Yachats a day trip to Newport is worth it. and add Depoe Bay that day. Long day from Jebediah SP to Yachats, so unsure how much you may see. You need to spend some time Brookings to Port Orford on coast. So you may want to spend a day going back to Florence to see Dunes and do dune buggies and see more of rugged coast.

Seattle, Washington
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

Thanks everyone - your help is appreciated.

MrsO - we are thinking of checking out the Gorge Scenic Area on our trip from Seattle to Bend. However we wouldn't have that much time, really just an hour to get out and stretch our legs. I think that further exploration will need to wait until another trip.

Mtngrl - I did some reading about Newport and I'm guessing we will spend a day exploring as it looks like it is full of great things for my crew to do. The aquarium looks right up our ally. As for our route back, we are still undecided. My oldest daughter has fond memories of the Tillamook Cheese Factory (and their ice cream), so we may head back up the coast. But Silver Falls looks great, so if we do go inland we will be sure to swing by.

HalfBrit - I know everyone raves about the dune buggies, but I just think they would be a bit much for my kids. I'm guessing once they are a few years older that it would be a better fit. As for the Prehistoric Gardens, I've added that to our list - as really how could we miss something like that! The kids will over the dinos.

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

The kids would love the Tillamook Cheese Factory! Blue Heron has a fun petting zoo and is another nice place to visit in this area along with Cape Lookout State Park. :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

There is also a cheese factory in Bandon called Face Rock Creamery; much smaller, far far less crowded. They serve Umpqua ice cream, which is also good. You can buy Tillamook ice cream in any grocery store. When you are in Newport, you might like to swing by Nye Beach Sweets in Nye Beach, as I know they serve Tillamook ice cream :-)

8. Re: Road Trip - What Shouldn't we Miss?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 05:19