We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

It was a trip of a lifetime! The 10 day forecast for No. Va was hazy, hot and humid and the same forecast for Oregon was sunny and 70 as we left IAD. We left 14 July and had nine days. Had one full day in the City of Portland. Saw the formal Chinese Garden,strolled across the Steel Bridge, shopped in NW, bought books a Powell's and lingered the late afternoon and evening at the Washington Park Rose Garden after the crowds had thinned. Acres and acres of crazy beautiful roses backed by the view of Mt. Hood, nice. Next day Columbia River Gorge Scenic Route, a picnic on Trillium Lake and one night at the pricy, but so worth it Timberline Lodge. My favorite falls in the Gorge was Latourell Falls, you will take a hundred pictures here :). Easy walk to the base of a beautiful waterfall in a forest with mist, its wonderful and loud. Multnomah Falls was a zoo, took poor hubby 30 minutes to find a place to park, so crowded but in the end worth it (well, not for the driver). Trillium Lake is just below Mt. Hood and we spent about two hours here with a great picnic table and reflection of the mountain on the lake. Postcard perfect. Spent that night at Timberline, and if you can swing it cost wise you should defiantly stay here. Everywhere you look in the lobby, or the room is something hand crafted and iron and wood. Our room looked to the mountain and coffee was served early and delicious in front of a huge wall of windows in the main lobby. Has internet and a pool too. The next day we went up the ski lift to the snow line, the kids loved "July and Snow", it was full of cool kids ski boarding. The view was like being...on top of a mountain, and that would be Hood :) We then left and drove to Maupin, Oregon to white water raft on the Deschutes River. It was great to drive less than a hour from Timberline to the high desert of Oregon. Very cowboys and Indians. We had an exhilarating raft trip just enough rapids to scare you and make you laugh at the same time, great for the kids. We used the Imperial River Company and stayed at their Lodge. Great lay back place, clean, great food, bar and green grounds right on the river. Good find. One of my favorite days. The next day was a 7AM cup of coffee in the car as we left for Mt. Rainier with a stop at Mt. St. Helens on the way, 12 hours but we spent a good four hours at Helens. We stopped by Mortans Market and stocked up for our three nights at Mt. Rainier (Ashland) Mortons Market was a great store with Rotisserie chicken, fresh bread and a liquor dept. (so novel for me as the State of Va. sells our Absolute). Mt. Rainier is the crown jewel of the NW. Its a huge mountain, and the Alpine meadows with wildflowers in July were right out of the Sound of Music scenes! We saw a black bear, very exciting! We stayed at the Three Bears Lodge which was a high end cabin rental at the entrance of the park. Great rental, nicely stocked, hot tub, fire pit and beautifully decorated woodsy style. Enjoyed this place, could have stayed for weeks, but alas, we haven't seen the coast yet. Next day off to Seaside, only took about 4 or 5 hours but we stopped in Astoria, saw the Lewis and Clark fort and the Goonies House, how could you miss it? Seaside was a lovely little town, and the kids loved the candy store and arcade games. We stated at the Seaside Inn which was fairly priced, clean and dog friendly. The coast was beautiful, south of Seaside are some awesome view points and perfect places to picnic. Next back to PDX an off we went. I wish everyone could go on this trip. It was grandparent, kid and dog friendly. GLW

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

Timberline is not dog friendly but the Best Western at Government Camp welcomed my son's dog.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

Thanks for the great report, but sure would be nicer if you had broken into a few paragraphs. Easier for me to read

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

^phirl...you are right, my English teacher would have been appalled :)

4. Re: 960 miles, two large rental veichles, 9 people and a dog NW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:17