We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with our route please?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Help with our route please?

Hi all,

My husband and I will be hiring an RV and driving from SF to Portland this September. We have roughed out a route but need to know whether it is realistic to fit all these locations in and whether there are any areas, parks, landmarks, towns, cities which we should include in our route or indeed anything we should drop?

We are generally aiming for spending the majority of time in the most scenic locations and interesting towns, walking and generally enjoying California/Oregon culture.

Anyhows here's the route - what do you guys think?

SF to Fort Bragg along HWY 1, Fort Bragg to Florence along 101, inland to Eureka (for an Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes concert) then south to Crater Lake, north to Bend, maybe the John Day Fossil Beds and then along the Columbia River Gorge through Portland to Astoria, south to Tilamook then dropping off the RV in Portland.

Thank you for all or any advice you can give.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
The Alsea Highway
Scenic Drives, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Rogue River Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Fort Astoria
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Siuslaw River Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with our route please?

Whoops I meant Eugene not Eureka!Definitely not driving back to CA for Eureka!

The whole trip is pretty ambitious, we have unlimited miles and are happy to make the trip as much about driving and enjoying the route as the stop offs. Having said that - if it is completely unrealistic please let me know. Also if anyone recommends removing some stop offs and including others that would be useful too.

Thanks again

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with our route please?

Not sure what you mean by "unlimited miles." Do you mean unlimited number of days? Or that you don't care how many miles a day you have to drive?

From Fort Bragg, you might as well continue up Hwy 1 to Leggett, where it runs into 101. Without knowing how many days you have for this trip, it's hard to suggest all the possible stopping points. One possible place might be Trinidad, just north of Eureka. Not only is this a picturesque little bay town, but it will allow you to spend some time enjoying the redwoods. Your next stop might be Gold Beach, where you can take a jetboat trip up into the Rogue River Wilderness. Then to Florence and inland to Eugene (let me know if I can help you regarding your time in Eugene).

The rest of your itinerary looks generally OK, except for the John Day fossil beds, which would not be on the shortest route to Mt. Hood and the Columbia Gorge. They would require a considerable amount of extra time and driving and might not give you as much as the Gorge would. Of course, if you have "unlimited time," all things are possible and you could even go farther afield.

Mentioned in this post
Trinidad
Trinidad
Trinidad and Tobago
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with our route please?

>> Fort Bragg to Florence along 101 <<

You don't mean driving that in one day, do you? Hope not!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with our route please?

Just to clarify - we have the RV for 14 nights and we have hired it with unlimited mileage so we are not limited by our mileage allowance.

I did think the fossil beds might be a bit of a stretch, definitely would prefer to see more of Colombia River and Mt Hood so we will scratch that from the itinery!

We weren't really planning on stopping in Eugene itself (just stopping off for the concert at the Cuthbert Amphitheatre) but would it be worth adding to the itinery?

We are picking the RV up on 13th sept and need to be in Eugene by the eve of the 18th for the concert - do you think this is realistic?

Thanks again

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,645 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with our route please?

>> We are picking the RV up on 13th sept and need to be in Eugene by the eve of the 18th for the concert - do you think this is realistic? <<

Yes :-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with our route please?

Is Eugene worth adding to the itinerary? Well, you are already including it, since it's unlikely you'll be traveling after the concert. So, a lot depends on what time you arrive in Eugene, what time you want to get to the amphitheatre (do doors open early, will you be picnicking on the grass at the concert, etc.:). If you get to town early I can offer some suggestions, but if you only get there in time for the concert, then go right to your RV (wherever you're planning to park it for the night) and figure on an early start the next day....well, there's not much time to explore the town.

By the way, where are you planning to spend that night?

7. Re: Help with our route please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 06:22