We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Hi;

Has anyone been to the Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire http://shrewfaire.com/index.php I did a search on Oregon Forum with no results. I am trying to find out if it is really busy and if you have to get there early to get parking close to the events site. We will be staying overnite in Corvallis on Sept 14-15 so we can attend.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Hi,

I am sorry you had to wait too long to get an answer but with all the years I have been here, I have never had that question before. Can you contact the company putting it on? I noticed there is a contact number on the Event Page online.

Please post a trip report so that we will will be feedback on this. You can also try to review it by submitting it and giving an internet address a physical address and name and phone.

Thanks,

MrsO

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

hi MrsO

thanks for responding. it is not often one gets to stump the locals on TA (-: since we pride ourselves in knowing "everything".......about where we live.

We discovered this Faire when looking for something to do in Portland that weekend.. we changed our destination when we found out that OSU does not have a home game that weekend and there was a good chance of getting accommodation in Corvallis.

I am not good at trip reports but will try on this trip since we are doing a couple of off the beaten track items.

cheers

cb

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

I too am not familiar with this event, but am very familiar with Corvallis. Lodging should not be an issue at all that weekend, but the town will be getting busy. Most students will not be there yet, but the Greeks will be moving into their houses that weekend, so places will be somewhat busy. It is a beautiful time in Corvallis and the general area, so enjoy!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

OK. I had to google that to find out what it was. So now I know a little more. I have been to Kings Valley over the years. sort of good way to get from Toledo to Tigard via Dallas, but I do that less now. not that many reasons to be In Toledo now. So I do not remember seeing any evidence of Faire. Kings Valley tiny place, actually kind of nice they have developed a gathering like that. I hope most of those who live there agree.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

I am very familiar with the event, but that sort of thing is not in our fields of interest so we've never attended. It used to be in Philomath. We've driven Kings Valley route countless times, though. If I were you I'd contact the event personnel and ask about parking :-)

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Reporting back:

For those interested in finding out if this is something you may want to do I summarize with "if you do not like live theater this is not for you" For those interested some details.

we went on Sunday sept 15 driving up from Corvallis. I actually found the location on my GPS using Grant Rd, Kings Valley. There were 2 flag persons on highway 223 at the turn off. The property is a quite large field located on the edge of the forest; there are no problems parking even though the field is not level. There were people directing traffic to the parking area when we arrived around 11:30 am

The highlight of the event was the jousting. There are 2 different sets of armored horsemen going at each other with lances repeating the process at least 4 times; it makes for impressive theater. There is a sloped clearing along the ring which makes a natural tiered seating area.

There is a "village" similar to a circus midway and then there is a section called Friar Tuck's forest which is an area along a path inside the forest, It kind of made it feel like you were back in time.

Lots of people in costumes that are acting out their part and some families with young kids dressed up for the day. I can see where it would be a fun week end for the people that like acting since there is camping available on site. The whole event was quite well organized.

We spent about 1.5 hrs on site, of which 1/2 hr was spent watching the jousting event. It is now on the list of "we have done that" never to be done again but we sure will be talking about it :-).

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Thanks for report. Guess it went on my list of glad I heard about it.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Yes, thanks for letting us know about it.

MrsO

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

Hey there.. or as we would have said, "Well met!"

I am a volunteer at Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire, and I wish I would have spotted this before the event this weekend. I'm glad you came out and enjoyed yourself!

Just so you know (and for future reference if anybody stumbles across this topic) there is no camping on-site for non-participants. As you observed, Sunday is the lighter-attended of the two days, but even on Saturday there isn't too far of a walk from the furthest possible space to the front gate. And our parking staff does a phenomenal job of filling in empty spaces close up if there are any available.

The best time to attend Shrewsbury is probably at opening on Sunday. The ticket line is typically short, you will get awesome parking, and the weather is typically the coolest. If you come out on a morning where our weather has blessed us with light fog, the site is as it's most.. "English" in appearance. And you'll have plenty of time to browse the vendors and catch the noontime joust. Oh, and if you are there at opening, you will catch the theatrics of our opening ceremony..

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,100 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shrewsbury Renaissance Faire

You could try to write a review and give the address URL and phone with it. It might not go through until they investigate it but when they verify it you would have a place people could write reviews for this event.

best,

MrsO