We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a winter trip

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Planning a winter trip

Hi, my boyfriend and I are planning a vacation to the northwest region this winter. We're hoping to keep it at around 5 days, probably right after Christmas/early January, and visit Portland and Seattle, with a couple days of mountain fun in between. I want to spend a day to a day and a half hiking, skiing, or just visiting Mount Saint Helens or Mount Hood (we are going to Rainier afterwards). I've heard that the visitor centers for MSH are mostly closed in the winter, but honestly we are more outdoorsy and just want the beautiful scenery and hiking, not so much learning all about the volcano's history and that touristy stuff, so I don't know if that will be much of a problem for us?

Bottom line: Saint Helens or Hood in the winter? How much time should we spend (day trip or spend the night nearby)? If you have specifics on routes to hike/climb at that time of the year that'd be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a winter trip

Not so much learning about the history of volcano., then why go? Mt St Helens is no longer a mountain. It is missing its top. Mt Hood definitely is a mountain. But for outdoorsy stuff in winter suggest the Col R Gorge, many short hikes you can take. many trails up high near the mountains will be closed in Jan with snow.

I don't ski so can't help much with any ideas there.

Another option in winter is coast. Winter not best time for much in mountains except snow stuff.

Edited: 12 September 2013, 17:24
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a winter trip

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor.

>>... that touristy stuff <<

Mt St Helens is not what I'd call "touristy". In fact, other than maybe Seaside or Oaks amusement park, there really is *not* a lot of the classic "touristy" stuff in Oregon. Or Washington. We've got practically unlimited scenic outdoor spaces, museums, historical parks, a few large cities and lots of small towns, farms & fields, rivers, lakes, mountains, deserts and the ocean!

If you want to hike in scenic areas, you have tons of choices. Most visitors to Mt St Helens are interested in learning about the volcano erupting, how it affected the valley below, the devastation and recovery.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a winter trip

not what I would call touristy, right HalfBrit. I find it a fascinating place, looking a very recent volcano, not many places in world you can do that, and it is very obvious at Johnston Ridge or even Coldwater what happened if you read or listen to presentations,

But over the years have learned some people are just not interested in that. and in winter can be tough access. Mt Hood better choice for OP.

4. Re: Planning a winter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 06:20