We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
132 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

We are thinking of traveling 3-4 nights (with 4yr and 4mo). Yes we are CRAZY. My husband wants to see the redwood forrest and I would like the beautiful coast. Suggestions???

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Deb

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

3-4 nights round trip? Or one way?

Your location says Oakland, but you're traveleing "from" Portland to SF?

When are you planning to travel?

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
132 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

Yes one way :)

From Portland back to the bay area.

THANK YOU

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,174 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

I'm sure everyone will recommend going down the coast Hwy 101, which will take you right through the redwoods to SF. The "when" half-Brit asked about is important with winter rapidly approaching since the mountain passes will start getting icy and hit with snow storms.

The 4 year old will enjoy the aquarium in Newport, the sea lions at the pier in Newport's historic bayfront and the tidepools at Cape Perpetua' plus just beachcombing almost anywhere that catches your fancy along the way (be careful about sneaker waves and incoming tides). The 4 month old will only be a factor in how many hours per day you will want to drive.

My suggestion would be to skip the north coast and head for Lincoln City via #18 and stop in Depoe Bay (maybe you'll get lucky at the whale lookout center and see a whale or two) and spend your first and second nights in Newport. The third night could be in Bandon. Check out the crab fishing off the pier in old town.

On the way, take a look at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Center just inland from Reedsport on #38.

The fourth and final night should be somewhere in the redwoods, leaving you a 5-6 hour drive to SF on your final day.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
132 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

Thank you

5. Re: Suggestions from Portland to San francisco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 06:19