We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Oregon fri, sat, sun and mon

El Monte, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Going to Oregon fri, sat, sun and mon

Hey guys I need some help finding a few places where to stay and thing's to go see while im out there. Im flying to Portland Oregon on Oct 11 and flying back home to California on Oct 14. I should be arriving Friday in the afternoon so I wont have much for anything but a nice relaxing dinner and a few drinks. Im going to be going with my girlfriend. So we want to see the coast atleast once while we are out there. Maybe go fishing or have some seafood. We want to go out in the wilderness and experiance some wildlife. Nothing to dangerous maybe drive somewhere we can see bears moose deer or anything like that. Also I was planning on driving to Mt. Saint Helens. WhaT should I expect to see at MSH besides a huge volcano? Any hotels that have a beach front but not to expensive? Do you guys know of any small cabins out in the wild for rent? Any advice you guys can give will be highly appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,332 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Oregon fri, sat, sun and mon

Well, we need to clarify a few points first. The only place you are sure of seeing the animals you mentioned is Portland Zoo. Unless you go with experienced groups or other hikers, you shouldn't be wandering into any wilderness areas at all. Too easy to get lost and have to have search and rescue trying to find you. When you go to Mt. St. Helens you won't see a huge volcano. You'll see what's left of a huge volcano...and you will be here just about the time the Johnston Ridge Observatory and the road to it close for the season. I would probably scratch Mt. St. Helens from your list and try again in the summer.

Weather permitting, however, you could drive up to Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood (which IS a huge volcano) and see the Columbia River Gorge on the way there and back (including waterfalls and some hiking).

If you do go down the coast as far as Reedsport, you can stop just inland from 101 at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing Area and see a herd of elk (although I took the family there once and the elk decided on that day to hide in the forest).

Your penchant for "the wild" is difficult to satisfy. The winter weather is already dumping snow and lots of rain on our mountains and we warn everyone about the dangers of driving on mountain roads in snow and ice. Also, we are very serious when we tell visitors to ignore any online mapping program that says to drive on a forest road in winter. We lose more tourists that way!

You can find cabins in the Mt. Hood area and along the rugged coastline. Just be prepared for any kind of weather that shows up.

2. Re: Going to Oregon fri, sat, sun and mon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:19