We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving down the coast...

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Driving down the coast...

We're heading into Oregon for next 5/6 days. Camping as we go along

Would love to hear people's suggestions for beaches, scenic highlights and interesting things to see.

Also ideas for food and drinks!

Thanks in advance.

Really looking forward to experiencing Oregon's coast!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving down the coast...

The last 20 or so postings have been by "A TripAdvisor Member." Recommendation: combine most of your questions into just one or two regional queries. That will make it easier for all of us to make better itinerary suggestions and for you to keep track of the answers.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving down the coast...

hmm...is TA playing tricks on us? Now all the postings have different names on them. Sorry about my recommendation above. Guess I was just reacting to a system glitch.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving down the coast...

There seemed to be some weird glitches earlier today, o'poppa.

--

Tent camping?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving down the coast...

Tent camping. Proper camping.

Using an RV or trailer is caravaning!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving down the coast...

State Parks are open.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
154 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving down the coast...

Indeed they are.

What would be the highlights down along the coast?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving down the coast...

http://visittheoregoncoast.com/

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g1438848-Activit…

http://theoregoncoast.info/

And this is just a start. Check it all out, decide what interests you and get back to us with more specific questions you might have. To each his own and not everyone has the same "highlights" in mind.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving down the coast...

"Tent camping. Proper camping."

Agreed. And thank you.

In the north I'd put Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach with Haystack Rock, (maybe) Hug Point State Park, and the short walk into Short Sands Beach at Oswald West State Park tops on my list. Cape Lookout State Park would be a good place to camp.

Top central coast highlights for me are Cascade Head, Yaquina Head, beers and food at Rogue Ales in Newport (either location, but I prefer the brewery on the south side of the bridge), Haceta Head, the 804 Trail in Yachats, and Cape Perpetua. Sorry, have never camped in that area.

In the south, every roadside pullout/park between Port Orford and Brookings seems to have better views than the previous one. If you have the time, drive west from Coos Bay through Charleston to Sunset Beach and Shore Acres. The botanical gardens there are stunning, and who'da thunk they'd be there. If you play golf, at least drive through Bandon Dunes Resort. You'll be reminded of home.

Food and/or drink stops along the way: Bill's Tavern in Cannon Beach, San Dune Pub in Manzanita, Pelican Pub at Cape Kiwanda, Otis Cafe, Tidal Raves in Depoe Bay (more upscale).... General advice is that places are usually as they appear to be.

Have fun! And hopefully you stay dry.

Edited: 09 October 2013, 21:24
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
696 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving down the coast...

Yachats is one of my favorite towns along the Oregon coast. Try the Green Salmon for breakfast/lunch. Fantastic pastries. I also like Luna Sea for fish -- they will also sell fresh fish if you want to cook it yourself. You can also pick up locally brewed beer along with organic veggies at the Yachats Farm Store. These are all along the 101, be sure to slow down as you go through. Yachats is tiny.

I'm not sure if Devi's Churn--a stop along the 101 near Yachats where you can view some spectacular waves-- is accessible with the government shut down as it's on federal land.

Further south, around Florence, there are numerous sand-dunes. The Jessie M. Honeyman Memorial State Park has hikes to some of these dunes and year-round camping. www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving down the coast...

Trailers are RVs in this country, as are motorhomes.

I called Cape Perpetua for another poster and the recording said all roads and trails are open, but the visitors center and restrooms are closed.

Yaquina Head in Newport is closed to vehicular traffic but open to pedestrians and bicyclists.

>>These are all along the 101, be sure to slow down as you go through.<<

Especially good when the speed limit is 25 MPH ;-)