We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

newcastle
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

Hi,

I am planning a trip in mid June, Flying into and out of SFO, hoping to travel up the coast to Seattle, then inland back to SFO.

I have been to San Francisco a number of times so only planning on two nights there.

I would like to see as much as possible, throw in some shopping (Oregon is tax free?), visit the Boeing Factory, and mix some City and rural sights.

I will be travelling with my wife and sixteen year old basketball fanatic son, any basketball links appreciated.

I prefer good quality 4* Plus hotel accomodation, but don't mind the odd quirky place to stay.

Any info appreciated

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

I'll let others begin suggesting itineraries and may come back into the discussion later on...but I want to address the basketball matter first. The college season concludes in March and the professional playoffs are in June. The only pro teams on your route are the Golden State Warriors who play in Oakland and the Portland Trail Blazers. The odds are against either of those teams still playing by the time you get here; and if one of them is, tickets will be expensive and hard to get.

Your son might be interested in visiting the major universities and their athletic facilities. There will also be major national and international track and field meets at the University of Oregon's Historic Hayward Field in June. Let me know if that is of interest.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

Added note: Didn't mean to leave out Sacramento Kings pro basketball team, but their chances of playing in the post-season playoffs are about as good as the Warriors and Trail Blazers.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

How long is your trip?

I might suggest that you switch your route and travel north via the inland route then return south along the coast. That way, your passengers get a great view of the ocean as you drive along and can snap pics as you go :-)

If you have time, I'd also suggest taking Hwy 1 in California south from Leggett to San Francisco. Spectacular drive!

No sales tax in Oregon. Depending upon what type of shopping you're interested in, there is a very large outlet mall about a half hour south of Portland, plus several "typical" malls around Portland, plus an upscale outside shopping "plaza" type of mall, plus tons of individual stores and areas with smaller shops. The most shopping choices are in the Portland area since it has the biggest population.

Along the coast, the 4*+ accommodations are limited. They include:

Astoria - Cannery Pier Hotel

Cannon Beach - Stephanie Inn, maybe one or two others here

Depoe Bay - Whale Cove Inn

Gold Beach - Tu Tu Tun (not on the ocean; 8 miles inland)

Trinidad, Calif - there are three upscale B&Bs/Inns

Eureka, Calif - Carter House Inn

There is plenty of mid range lodging. In summer, I'd suggest booking ahead for lodging in the better hotels.

4. Re: 20 days San Francisco to Seattle return Advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18