We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

San Diego...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

Hello

This weekend I was in Oregon exploring the Lighthouses along the pacific coast. Here are the details:

1. Left for Portland on Friday night and reached there at 10 PM .Made my way to my friends place in Hillsboro. Stayed there for the night and in the morning I made my way to Multnomah Falls. The falls are really beautiful and mesmerizing. So I decided to do a 1.2 mile hike to the top of the falls. Unfortunately, this view was not very spectacular but nevertheless a good morning run. Spent some time at the top and then made my way to gift shop. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that there is no sales tax in Oregon. So what you see is what you pay. After that, my initial plan was to go to Astoria but as I have already been there once, I decided to ditch it and instead went to view Tillamook Rock lighthouse. This lighthouse is off the coast in the middle of the ocean. But the best ways to have good views are from Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach or from Indian Beach. I hiked the Clatsop Loop Hike to go to viewpoint for Tillamook Rock Lighthouse. The view was excellent but I wasn’t able to capture true beauty of the lighthouse. After that, it was already 2 PM and I made my way to Cape Meares Lighthouse. The views were nice and after spending some time, I made my way to Yaquina Head Lighthouse, but it got dark in the journey itself. So I decided to stay at Newport for the night and resume my journey the following day. I found a cheap motel and spent the night there roaming around the coastline before sleeping.

2. I wanted to wake up at 5 AM so that I have more daylight to explore lighthouses in, but I slept till 7 AM and started my journey at 8 AM. I was already cursing myself for wasting 2 hrs of daylight. I went to Yaquina Bay lighthouse which is a small and cozy one and then made my way to Yaquina Head Lighthouse which was the first classic Lighthouse scenery I saw in my journey “A lighthouse perched on the top of the cliff facing the vast endless ocean and providing guidance to the forlorn sailors lost on the sea”. Had my breakfast under the lighthouse shadow and started towards to my next destination. I went to Heceta Head Lighthouse, another stunning view. It had been renovated recently and the colors on the lighthouse said the same. They also have B&B facility, but that was too expensive especially for a young solo traveler. After that it was already 1 PM and I was losing daylight (Sunset happens at 5Pm and I still had 4 lighthouses to go). My next pit stop was Umpqua River Lighthouse which provides excellent views of Oregon coast and a good chance to see Whales. I didn’t see any, but some of the people I talked to saw one in the morning (Only if I hadn’t slept till 7AM). After that, Cape Arago was the next stop. Similar to Tillamook rock Lighthouse, this can only be seen from a distance and I had a hard time finding the viewpoint mainly because I was passing the same road again and again without looking in the other direction. It flashed thrice every 30 seconds.

3. Coquille River Lighthouse , the next lighthouse in my journey was not a very imposing lighthouse, but the scenery surrounding it was spectacular. The beach was magnificent and I just saw some old couples having a nice time. Now, it was time for my last lighthouse, Cape Blanco. The drive to this turned out to be the most beautiful drive over the entire trip. Going through turns and my was heart bouncing in anticipation as to what kind of view will I encounter and it didn’t disappoint. It was just the way I saw it in the pic, even better than Yaquina Head lighthouse. I parked my car along the edge of the cliff. I sat there and took in the view and made my way down to the beach. I was the only one there. Lighthouse grounds were closed to public access (Tours run from April to October), but considering this was the one lighthouse wanted to go to, I just walked along the road to the Lighthouse. I didn’t knew what would have happened if a park ranger had caught me ( maybe a hefty fine), but I was counting on the fact that as it was late Sunday evening, it would just be practically be empty and empty it was. Sat there till the sunset and then mad my way back to Portland to catch the flight on Monday morning.

I am sharing some pics below. Hope you people like them

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Song of the trip: https://vimeo.com/28254720

Thanks

Edited: 13 November 2013, 00:12
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

Nice report. proves you make a journey on coast of just seeing the lighthouses. and good idea for those who have been on oreg coast before. and enjoyed many of the other places

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,998 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

Nice report and good pictures. Now you can concentrate on rivers or fire shacks out in the mountains or something else here in Oregon. (some of the lookout places let you stay the night in them.)

I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

By the way, you can look at some hikes here... www.nwhiker.com Its' what the Forest Service uses.

MrsO

Edited: 13 November 2013, 04:04
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

Thanks for your trip report, hurricaneranger. Sounds like you had a good time and saw quite a bit in your short trip! You didn't blink as you went through Denmark, did you? LOL. Cape Blanco is arguably the most impressive and it is indeed in a beautiful setting.

If you ever come back for more, Umpqua at night is well worth seeing -- there are red and white lights that reflect off the hills right near it as the lights go round. Very cool. Also, if you ever get to Crescent City, you'd enjoy Battery Point lighthouse. It's the only one on the west coast that you access via a causeway only at low tide:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d11…

Level Contributor
35,259 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

Beautiful photos! Thank you for the report back. :).

5. Re: Trip Summary: Lighthouses along Oregon Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:18