We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter trip in eastern oregon

Portland, Oregon
14 posts
Save Topic
Winter trip in eastern oregon

I'm aware that there are some discussions about eastern oregon trip in summer, but I'm wondering if it's also good to travel in winter. How is the weather and road condition? We are planning for the trip with our 3 kids, aged 10, 9, and 5 during 4 days of Thanksgiving holidays. We'll drive from Portland and stay in hotels. Any places we shouldn't miss, especially for the kids? Hotels or restaurants? Thanks!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

In order for us to help you, will you please narrow it down from "Eastern Oregon"? Also, it might help if you took a look at a map so you can see the size and area involved. Thanks. Chuck.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Yes Eastern Oregon to me is well beyond Bend area. I spent many of my younger years in Pendleton Heppner, John Day, La Grande. That is Eastern Oregon, and so is Burns, Ontario, etc. But suspect you mean Central Oreg or Bend.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Chuck is right...2/3 of Oregon can be called "eastern Oregon." including from the Washington border to the California border and everything east of the Cascades. In only 4 days out of Portland, I would limit the trip to maybe Pendleton, Joseph or maybe Baker City. These are in reach and have interesting places to visit that would interest the kids, including the Oregon Trail Interpretive Centers on the Umatilla Reservation in Pendleton and just outside Baker City. The Underground Tour in Pendleton might be a bit mature for the youngest ones (especially the brothel tour), but you would find it fascinating. Joseph is an art colony famed for its large bronze statues that line the main street.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,538 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Oh, yeah...weather and road conditions. Check www.tripcheck.com for the latest conditions and forecasts. You get whatever Mother Nature wants to serve up...everything from cold and dry to blizzard. It's anyone's guess what will be on the agenda in two weeks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Can't miss to me is the Wallowa Valley and Mtns, but not sure you want to go that far in winter. Pendleton is almost 4 hours from Portland, another close to 4 hours to Enterprise. so you would spend most of a day getting there and back, Suggest you leave that for summer, and you might run into snows between Pendleton and La Grande. or elsewhere.

You want to see some of that country consider a trip through some of the small towns, Moro, Condon, Fossil, Heppner getting to Pendleton.

Portland, Oregon
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Sorry I didn't make it clear. What's in my mind about Eastern Oregon are places like John Day, fossil beds, Baker City or Pendleton. I should do more research. But thanks for all the replies!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Research is always good prior so we can give good help. Chuck.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

The John Day Fossil Beds are three locations, all of which are far from each other and quite remote. I have visited all three, and it is not possible to do so in one day during late November, a dark month with short days. You definitely need to do more research.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

Sure does help when we have general idea of your plan.

When we lived in John Day to/from Portland we mostly went through Biggs, Wasco, Condon, Fossil, passed by Hdqr for Fossil beds near Dayville. better winter route usually. than 26 past Mt Hood. we could do that under 6 hours. Plan a night in John Day, a nice town, then Hwy 7 to Baker. Oregon Trail Center there is best of the various Trail Centers in my view.

I-84 can be a snow problem at times. You can get a general idea of weather before you plan to leave.since it is soon.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter trip in eastern oregon

The other thing you'll want to check is to make sure the Paleontology center at the Sheep Rock unit is open if you decide to go there. The Painted Hills are beautiful... assuming they aren't covered with snow ;-)

A very handy website for road conditions is the ODOT one:

www.tripcheck.com

Bear in mind that rural areas don't have nearly as many road cameras and information may not be quite as accurate over long stretches of highway.