We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow near Detroit Lake?

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Snow near Detroit Lake?

My "young adult" children and I will be staying two nights this coming week at Detroit Lake, and we would love to find a place nearby with some snow. Hoodoo won't open for tubing before Thanksgiving (if then), and Mt. Bachelor is too far away. Does anyone know if there is any snow at the Sno Park in Santiam Pass? If not, is there a good spot that anyone could recommend that we could drive to for some informal playing in the snow?

Indigo Creek Outfitters
River Rafting & Tubing, Beer Tastings & Tours, Boat Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Noah's River Adventures
River Rafting & Tubing, Boat Tours
Seventh Mountain River Company
River Rafting & Tubing, Kayaking & Canoeing, Equipment Hire, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

Our daughter and SO spent last weekend at Olallie Lake in the snow. That is sort of near Detroit

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

I believe there is snow now at the Santiam Pass area. Not sure if there's enough to ski, but probably enough for a snowball fight, building a snowman or making snow angels.

I believe Olallie Lake is farther south -- off Highway 58 down past Eugene. Pretty far drive from Detroil Lake. Mt. Bachelor would be closer.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 04:24
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

Ollalie Lake is NE of Detroit up FS 46 maybe 15 miles. They had a 4WD

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

My bad. I was thinking of Odell Lake. Odell -- Olallie. Potayto -- Pototo. LOL!!

At least it wasn't Blue Lake. I think Oregon has about a dozen of those!

Edited: 25 November 2013, 21:54
Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

OregonJohn, as of Saturday when I drove back over there was very little snow at the pass. Hoodoo is reporting 5". All lifts and tubing runs are closed. Might be enough to play in.

http://www.hoodoo.com/status/

www.tripcheck.com/pages/camerasentry.ASP

Many Lost Lakes too!

Helvi, the road up to Olallie lake is just east of the campground and just before you enter Detroit, on the left if heading east. Don't think there would be anymore than at Hoodoo but who knows.

The weekend is looking better for some snow.

Decatur, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

Thanks, everyone! I will have an AWD but I am not sure how adventuresome I should be. It's my son's first trip to Oregon and we wanted to show him how fun it can be. We may just settle for a nearby hike---we may encounter some snow on that. It's sure to be beautiful, regardless. Have a great holiday.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

You may get your snow wish. Forecasts are calling for snow down to the 1,000 foot level (some say 500 feet) over the coming weekend. Enjoy!!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,344 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

Although it's still early, it's looking like next week will be pretty cold and wet and maybe snowy in many places. Keep your eye on www.tripcheck.com as well as the local weather reports online or on TV. Brrrrr...

9. Re: Snow near Detroit Lake?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 05:16