We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Yonkers, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Hello!

My fiancee and I are considering a bit of alternative route for our honeymoon next May. We are getting married on 5/3, but plan to take our honeymoon a few weeks later (517-5/25) so we can take advantage of having an extra day out of the office with Memorial Day without burning our days, as well as not needing to rush to an airport after having way too much fun on our wedding weekend!

We have 8 nights in total, and are definitely spending at least 4 of them at Turtle Bay on Oahu. We will more than likely need to take a connecting flight of some variety (we're coming out of NYC), and would love to take the opportunity to visit Oregon since neither of us have ever been. We're active travelers and our honeymoon will be no different. We are considering spending 4 nights in the Portland area and taking in as many sights as we can.

One option we were weighing on would be to fly into Portland on an early AM flight, and spend our first night there. Since we are really into seeing the natural sights, we were thinking about driving an inland route to Crater Lake the following day, and spending the second day and night within the vincity. Day 3 we would start to drive out towards the coast, and then stop along some of the more noteworthy beaches for some sight seeing, and spending the night somewhere along the coast about halfway to Portland. Day 4 we would drive back to Portland via the coast, stopping at Cannon Beach, and spend our last night in Portland so we can make an early flight to Hawaii the next morning.

Our other potential itinerary would be staying in Portland as a home base, and then simply doing day trips down the coast, to Mt. Hood, the gorge, and maybe a one over night up to Mt. Rainier.

Not exactly the most relaxing honeymoon, but we want to see as much as we can while we are out on the west coast. That being said, does anyone have any input on either of those routes such as potential additional sights to visit or insight as to why/if one itinerary would be better than another? Again, we are an active, low key couple who has a goal to see and do as much as we can while we're still able. We figure that we can get a lot of activity and quench some of our wanderlust in the first portion of our trip, and do all of our relaxing in Hawaii :)

Thanks for ready and providing any input!!

Wendy

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
371 Reviews
Crater Lake National Park, OR
Mount Hood
Mount Hood
486 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

North entrance to Crater Lake probably will not be open yet, and only parts of rim road. but south entrance probably will be open. so you can see the lake.

Southbound on coast is better in my view when you have the option. Memorial Day not good time to be on coast

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
371 Reviews
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Yes, Crater Lake will still most likely be snowbound in mid May. You can get there, but as phirl said, only through the south gate.

I'd sort of lean toward staying in Portland to drive out the gorge. Then maybe head south to Florence, experience a dune buggy ride on America's largest coastal dunes, and spend a night in Yachats. Might look into a night at Heceta Head lighthouse! Then continue north for a night in Cannon Beach, then return to Portland via Astoria. (One night lodging in Cannon Beach is limited, so that would take some research to find a place.)

It's less "rushed" driving and you'd have time to hike a bit, explore different areas, enjoy some microbrews . . .

Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
371 Reviews
Heceta Head Lighthouse
Heceta Head Lighthouse
973 Reviews
Florence, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannon Beach
Cannon Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

I'm quite sure that if you posted your plans on the Hawaii forum, you'd be strongly encouraged to spend your entire honeymoon in the islands. And I'd agree. Splitting eight nights between Hawaii and Oregon doesn't do either destination justice, not to mention that you'd be unnecessarily using one of your days almost entirely for travel. So I'd suggest you save Oregon until you can come in the summer months, when you have more time and the weather is reliably good.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Im sort of leaning towards thrumylens' advice- particularly if you've never been to Hawaii before. Tons and tons of active things to do there and 4 days in either place doesn't do either justice. I might opt to go island hopping to Maui or Big Island(Volcanoes NP is a must for any active couple!) for the other 4 days.

If you want to come to OR,

Only south rim of Crater Lake will be open in May and will likely only be a lookie loo- since snow is still around- unless you can rent snowshoes or skis and go for a walk on the road. Weather is still pretty unpredictable in May. Half-brit's itinerary would be much more enjoyable- the good thing about OR is that you don't have to go to a national park to see spectacular scenery. For example the Columbia Gorge is a National Scenic Area.

Edited: 08 December 2013, 17:46
Mentioned in this post
Crater Lake
Crater Lake
371 Reviews
Columbia Gorge Hotel
Columbia Gorge Hotel
837 Reviews
Hood River, OR
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,282 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Hi Wendy F,

I think you have hit on a good idea. We ususally go to Hawaii for 5-7 days and that is enough for us. We are ready to come home then, So a stop in Portland is a great idea to me.

You could get a suite at Columbia Cliffs Suites overlooking the river. It will be chilly but warm fires and romantic fires are the best. Lots to see as the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area earns its title rightfully. Wine in the Gorge is great, breweries too and the sunsets are .exquisite.

Only you can and choose. You may stretch a few Honeymoon bucks by doing this as well..

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 08 December 2013, 18:24
Mentioned in this post
Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area
Columbia River Gorge...
4,560 Reviews
Oregon
6. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline protecting the personal privacy of our users. We will remove messages that include real names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, street addresses, Instant Messenger handles and nicknames that are provided without permission from that user.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2013, 19:37
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Is there a direct flight from NYC to Hawaii? If so agree time best spent in Hawaii. However if you must stop some where, 4 days in Oregon could be a good idea. Not sure of direct flights from NYC to PDX. we took one once, think it was American. Right now think only Hawaiian and Alaska fly PDX to Hawaii direct. which could be a problem for you. on ticket prices.

If you do come here half-brit has a good plan. Think you need to more than day trip from Portland. If you come here coast deserves more than a day trip in 4 days.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 20:53
Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Yonkers, New York...
Level Contributor
4 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

Thank you, everyone!! I wasn't getting any notifications that anyone responded to my post so I haven't checked until now. You all offer such great insight from what seems a variety of travelers. Sounds like we still have a lot of thinking to do!!

9. Re: Honeymoon Stop in Portland en Route To Hawaii - May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:18