We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary in September

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary in September

We are planning a trip in September of 2014, flying in and out of Portland. We want our first stop to be Crater Lake. We are driving halfway right after our flight, staying overnight and then driving the balance early the next morning. We want to spend about 6-7 hours in Crater Lake at least before heading on and making a loop back up to Portland. I just need some ideas on the balance of the trip.

This is our second trip to Oregon. Previously we visited the Oregon coast from Florence to Cannon Beach and Ecola Park as well as Multnoomah Falls and briefly the Columbia River Gorge. This trip, we are considering the southern coast from Florence south, possibly a stop in Medford or Grants Pass, possibly a section of the Cascade Parkway and would love to include Timberline Lodge. We are interested in scenic beauty, photography and lighthouses. We have about 5 days to see things. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Florence to Cannon beach? Then you have seen two of our best sections of coast, but to me the best one is Port Orford to Brooking.

You could head down I-5 from Portland turn to the coast along OR v38 to Reedsport then south on 101 through Port Orford and Brookings to Cresent Cirty where you could see the Redwoods then to Grants pass on 199 and to Crater Lake. I suggest this cause coast is a bit better going south, but in south coast may not matter that much .

If you want to hit Crater lake early, you could go to Timberline then to Bend. I suggest you plan a day or two in central Oregon near Bend on way to Crater Lake.

Bend area has Newberry Crater our other Crater Lake where you can drive inside the volcano to see two nice lakes. Mckenzie Pass near Sisters also very good , in lava beds beneath the 3 Sisters. From Dee Wright observatory in lava beds you can see several mountains in addition to the 3 Sisters. Also near Camp Sherman the Metolius River comes out of the ground a full river with My Jefferson looking down.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,344 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

>> to me the best one is Port Orford to Brooking.<<

I agree :-)

If you are coming from Crater Lake, you'd head to the coast on Hwy 199 and end up in Crescent City. A half day south from there (or full day if you can fit it in) would give you a quick overview of the redwoods, if that is of interest? Crescent City has what may be considered the most unique lighthouse on the west coast:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d11…

You might look at Ashland instead of Medford as it's an overall more attractive town. From the town of Grants Pass, you might like a jet boat ride:

http://www.hellgate.com/adventures.php

You can get longer jet boat rides inland from Gold Beach on Jerry's Jet Boats.

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

These are very good ideas and I am starting to work out an itinerary based on the information that you have given to me. We will probably do the Bend and Newberry Crater as well as Crescent City as suggested and pretty much follow the route that you have given me. Very very helpful. I think we will not be going any further south than Crescent City as we want to go to San Francisco and the surrounding area in 2015 so I think we can cover it then. I see that there is a Redwood area near Crescent City so we will stop and see that. Anything in particular to see in the Brookings and Port Orford area? Should we be taking the Cascade Highway out to Bend or is it better to drive north from Crater Lake? Where is Camp Sherman?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Camp Sherman is off of hwy 20 near Black Butte. It is NE of the town of Sisters a bit. Really nice area in the fall, IME.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Oops, I meant NW of Sisters.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Not sure which way you plan to go? Assuming Timberline, Bend, Crater Lake. you are backtracking to go north from Crater Lake.

Sam Boardman SP north of Brookings has many good stops. There is a website that has a map. with info. Not sure when jet boats on Rogue stop running from Gold Beach, that is worth a half day trip.

I would go as far south as Drury Byway 35 miles or so from CC. would not wait til SFO trip, long ways from SFO.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,344 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Newton Drury scenic parkway... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32830-d36…

However, if you simply don't have time to drive that far south, be sure to drive Howland Hill Road. You can access it via Stout Grove road off Hwy 199, then just keep going south on it and you'll come out just a couple of miles south of Crescent City. The drive on the dirt/gravel road takes about an hour one way including a couple of stops to walk around a bit (not hikes).

Here are reviews and pics... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60944-d14…

Brookings has several lovely little parks. The marina area south of the river is a pleasant to drive through.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g51780-Activitie…

Gold Beach has the jet boats, a couple of parks and the Mary D Hume - poor old thing, when we were in Gold Beach few months ago, it is looking more and more decrepit. Here is the story:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51887-d1911689/Gold-…

Port Orford has Cape Blanco, Hughes House, Port Orford Heads SP and Battle Rock SP Rest Area (right on 101).

Endless Mountains...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Timberline Lodge located near the base of the southern part of Mount Hood.. a real treasure to visit or even better, stay at. Stayed overnight in Medford this past Sep., nothing to write home about. The Clackamas Inn & Suites located in Clackamas, a great place to stay at...just to the east of Portland....spotless,great location,fantastic staff and very reasonable...a great place to make the drive to the Timberline Lodge/Mount Hood

Edited: 21 December 2013, 18:47
Level Contributor
36,925 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

The jet boats in Gold Beach are lots of fun. We did a ride with Jerry's, they picked us up at Tu Tu Tun Lodge where we stayed for two nights. Have fun! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,344 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help with itinerary in September

Did you stop and look at the Mary D Hume, syrahgirl?

Edited: 23 December 2013, 00:33