We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

Spokane WA
Level Contributor
112 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

I know this time of year is not the best but any suggestions of things to see or do from Portland to Capital City?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

"Capital City(Oregon)? Do you mean Salem? Nothing to so or do between Portland and Salem except just drive for about an hour. Chuck.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,621 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

Like shopping? Woodburn outlet mall.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

If you're driving on Highway 99E, there's the Aurora Colony Museum and a bunch of antique stores in historic Aurora, about midway between Portland and Salem. And as mentioned previously, the Woodburn Outlet Mall off of I-5.

Level Contributor
36,637 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

In Turner is Willamette Valley Vineyards. Excellent wine and food, they have recently remodeled. :).

Edited: 28 December 2013, 06:00
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

>>Nothing to so or do between Portland and Salem except just drive for about an hour.<<

Au contraire, Chuck ;-)

In additon to Woodburn Outlet Stores and Aurora, there is the Wheatland Ferry just north of Salem (oldest operating one in Oregon, ~160 years) , Willamette Mission State Park, and a few miles off I-5 is Champoeg State Park.

This thread is a bit confusing, TBotzon, since your other one asked about wineries, the bulk of which are along 99W/Hwy 18 rather than I-5. Which route are you thinking of driving?

Spokane WA
Level Contributor
112 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

Dang it I am sorry I meant Pacific City!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

Posters 2-5: Let this serve as a lesson. You can just not accurately give any information until all relevant questions of the OP are answered. You all assumed that by "Capital City", OP meant Salem. Wrong. That's why I asked her to clear that up. Chuck.

Spokane WA
Level Contributor
112 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

I wish I could have corrected the title question but it won't let me.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

Don't worry about it, TBotzon!

I thought that was what you meant, but I know that since many people read these forums, our comments would help give information to other readers who may be interested in that area of Oregon :-)

It didn't really matter if we were "wrong" Chuck, as one of the main purposes of TripAdvisor is the exchange of information for travelers. Happy New Year :-)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to see/ do on route Portland-Capital City?

OK, Pacific City? I suggest you consider a loop. McMinnvile and wine country along 99W, then 18./22 to coast at Hebo. Then 3 capes to Tillamook and OR-6 to Portland stopping at Tillamook Forest Center. or you could reverse that. and if you have a few days in Pacific City you could do 3 Capes while there.